Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Efficient or lazy nurser?

Default Efficient or lazy nurser?

Hey there! I need some advice on my current nursing situation. LO is 1 week & 4 days old. He took to breastfeeding instantly, we only had to work on his latch a little bit before he got the hang of it and on day 2 my milk started coming in. I was extremely engorged and it has finally subsided for the most part. I can definitely tell that a low supply is not the issue (at least I don't think so). In between feedings my breasts are no longer feeling super full like they were a few days ago. He nurses, on average, 10 min on each side. He was doing 15-30 when I was engorged but I was having to keep him awake and alert the whole time and that was a chore.

Now that my engorgement is gone, he only nurses about 10 min on each breast and sometimes it's only 8 min or so. I can hear him gulping pretty much the entire time and by the time 10 min are up, my breasts feel soft and comfortable again. Is this normal/okay? I can tell i have OALD so I've started adjusting his position to where it will hopefully slow the flow down and he's no longer choking on my let down. He seems satisfied, i can tell my milk let's down almost instantly after he latches and by 10 min, he's asleep and pulls off. I don't know if he's just lazy or very efficient...? He has PLENTY of poop and pee diapers. Sometimes I can get him to stay latched for 20 minutes but after that he usually wont nurse on the other breast at all. Could he be getting the hind milk during a 10 min feeding? He nurses about every 2-3 hours and I usually have to wake him up to feed him.

I'm not a FTM and I did BF my first LO but she had to be in the NICU and our breastfeeding did not get off to a great start so it was never well established and we only made it to 5 months. I'm hoping this time we can go a whole year! Any advice would be great! Also, sorry if this is too long or doesnt make much sense, still not getting a lot of rest haha
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Default Re: Efficient or lazy nurser?

Sounds like things are going well! I had "plentiful" supply once my milk came in too -- and actually ended up just nursing on one side per feeding. It eliminated the fore/hind milk question, decreased LO's spit up episdoes (from OALD), and helped me to regulate my (over)supply.

If you want to "see" about fore/hind milkm you could always hand express a bit at beginning and end of your nursing session to see if it changes from the thin bluish color to thick whiter color .

You're not having any spit up or fussiness issues, right? If all is good, you may not want to mess with success
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

No spit up issues, 2 days in a row when my breasts were constantly full, he threw up I think from overeating but since then he hasn't done that. Every now and then he will get super fussy and move his head side to side with my nipple in his mouth but not latch on. He did this tonight for about 5 minutes, was screaming crying (he had already nursed about 10 minutes and my breast was soft by then), eventually latched on, nursed for a few minutes and passed out. Not sure why he does this I thought maybe this breast is empty and that's irritating him but i did notice some milk coming out of his mouth as he fell asleep on the breast. I was just about to switch him to the other breast but he latched on and I didn't want to interrupt.
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Best way to judge hindmilk intake is by poop color: if baby's poops are consistently yellow (the color of cheap mustard), he's getting plenty of hindmilk. If they are consistently green, then he may be getting an overabundance of watery, lactose-rich foremilk.

It sounds like nursing is going very nicely. Baby is gaining, having plenty of diaper output, and your supply is no longer wildly out of tune with his needs. I wouldn't worry about the fast feedings at all. Some babies become very efficient feeders early on, spending just 5-10 minutes at the breast. This is often the case with babies whose moms have large milk supplies, because the milk is so easy to get out! So don't watch the clock, watch the baby. He seems satisfied after feedings because he is satisfied.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like you had a sleepy baby on your hands.....my LO hates to fall asleep sometimes...and he will fight it all the way. The behavior you described could also be your LO expressing discomfort at having to poop or something....but since it happened right before falling asleep I'm inclines to go with the "tired but don't know how to sleep" choice.

3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

yay! This makes me so happy to hear! I had so many troubles with DD and her breastfeeding and had such a low supply (we got off to a rough start due to NICU stay and nipple confusion bc of it) that having this good supply is making me so happy!

All of his poop diapers have been mustard yellow and curdly looking. I'm not sure of his exact weight gain but he was born 8 lb. 6 oz. and when discharged he had gone down to 7 lb 10 oz., they made him an app to see ped the next day and his weight was up to 7 lb 15 oz. and ever since then I can tell he is getting bigger

Now that I know he is just efficient, I'm going to enjoy his quick feedings and no more stressing/watching the clock for me!
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Yeah, sometimes you just have to trust your instincts (or... remember to mute the little voice that says *not* to trust yourself!)