Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: won't eat - very worried

Default won't eat - very worried

My son has always been small, but according to our scale he hasn't gained anything in the last month and a half. He jsut doesn't seem very interested in solds, no matter how many different ways we try. We are lucky to get him to eat a few bites of food. We try to give him variety, in case he doesn't eat because he is bored. We also make sure to have something he likes when we feed him something new. I know that breast milk is supposed to be all he needs for the first year, but wouldn't he be growing if that were the case. He is still wearing 6-9 month clothes (and several of his clothes are still 3-6 month clothes). DH says that he will eat if he is hungry, but how could he not be hungry if. What he is currently eating isn't helping him grow? Please help.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: won't eat - very worried

Do you have any more data for us? Birth weight and length, measurements at various ages, etc. What does your pediatrician say? Is he growing according to their scale? Honestly, if this is getting your mommy-sense tingling, it's probably worth asking the doctor about. But he doesn't need any solids necessarily at this point. Your milk, if he is nursing enough, should be all the real nutrition he needs for a little while longer. None of the solids you could feed him would be equal to the calories, fat, and nutrition of your milk.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I have had 2 boys got through feeding therapy and I understand your frustration. Your baby is going to turn 1 soon, but remember they don't magically turn into toddlers eating cheeseburgers and big solid meals. Some babies need more time to get there.

I would not at all be concerned with the growth the last month, once they hit 1 it slows considerably. Is he walking or crawling and very active? That usually accounts for the lack of gaining.

What solids is your son eating? Finger foods? Purees?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

He was 7 lbs 20 inches when he was born and lost a pound by the time he was 3 days old. I had to suppliment with formula until my milk came in, but not since then. At 2 months, he was 22.5 in. (29%) and 11 lb 6 oz(24%). At 5 months he was 25 in (39%) and 14 lb 8 oz (24%). At 7 months he was 26 in (14%) and 16 lbs 11 ooz(18%). The last visit, 9 months, he was 69.5 cm (I haven't converted that to inches yet - 19%) and 18 lb (11%). Since the check up when he was 7 months, the dr has been urging more solids. She says that he is naturally small, but that his weight and height are decreasing. He is a very active boy. He never sits still unless you are reading to him. He is constantly crawling around and climbing up to things and waliking along them, along with having us walk him around everywhere while holding our hands (his absolute favorite activity, he giggles while walking). He has spurts where he is better at eating. He has been eating baby food primarily, but we have been feeding him (or trying to) our food pureed, soft fruits and veggies, bread, cheerios, and we tried cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt ( he LOVES vanilla yogurt, but it has so much sugar that we don't let him have more than a taste every now and then). He hates the dairy products, except the sweetened yogurt (he gagged at the plain stff). He likes to eat off of our plate, what we are eating, when possible, but still will oonly have a few bites. I am not sure if my production is down or if my pump just needed new suction thingies, but I got new p$arts and am drinking mother's milk tea twice daily since Monday. Thanks for any help.
    Just curious what the dr can do besides tell me to feed him more?

DS since 1/30/11

maybe try adding fats to things, like butter to the bread or olive oil to the veggies? does he like avocado? that has a lot of fat/calories too
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

FWIW, my daughter wouldn't really eat much in terms of solids til she hit closer to 13-14 months.

Can you add a few nursing sessions a day? If you wanted to gain weight would you eat fruit or drink a milkshake? Nurse more.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama
    Can you add a few nursing sessions a day? If you wanted to gain weight would you eat fruit or drink a milkshake? Nurse more.
    Sometimes active babies forget to to nurse. Offering more may remind your LO to put something in his tummy.

Good suggestions on solids from the PPs. If he loves vanilla yogurt, you might want to try mixing it with plain and seeing if you can find a mix that satisfies his sweet tooth without being too sweet. I agree that most commercially available vanilla yogurt is way too sweet!

One thing I notice about the measurements you posted is that while your baby is not a big baby, he seems to be a pretty consistent baby. Consistent is good- it generally means that the baby is following his natural curve up the charts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I figured out something yesterday, he will eat anything I give him, as long as it is off my plate. He won't eat a bite from the jars. I have been giving him food off my plate or soft foods on his tray and he seems to enjoy that. I guess if I feed him yogurt or something like that, I can eat some while he is eating. But what about breakfast stuff? I try to feed him oatmeal, but I usually have eggs, which he can't have. Plus, in the morning I don't have time to let him eat slowly as I have to get to work. Letting him eat on his own is VERY slow.

ETA: I am also trying to feed him more. I have been drinking mother's milk tea twice a day to increase my supply.

DS since 1/30/11

Jar food is yucky. Obviously, or mom would be eating it too, right?!

Baby-friendly breakfast options: hot cereals like oatmeal (add butter or cream for a skinny kid), toast fingers, yogurt, smoothies. and don't be afraid to put some non-traditional breakfast items on your plate for your kid. Babies don't know that spaghetti and meatballs isn't official breakfast food, and they don't care.

Dedicated self-feeders can be a time challenge. I watched a friend's kid down an entire jar of Gerber once and I was astounded at how fast the feeding was over. My girls never really took to spoons, and I never used jar foods with them, and they will eat a little, go off and play, come back, eat some more, go away again... It's an all-day snackathon. But that's what works for them, so I roll with it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Some other baby friendly options: bananas, slices of avocado or baked sweet potato. Soft boiled meat (very soft). Egg yolks, if he's not allergic. Mango, steamed apples, pear slices, steamed broccoli.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012