Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Needs to nurse more often all of a sudden

Question Needs to nurse more often all of a sudden

My son used to eat every 3 hours or so, he is now 3 months old and for about the past week or two he has needed to eat every two hours at the longest, sometimes less. He will only sleep for one 3 hour stretch at night and then is up every 2 after that. I am getting exhausted and confused. Do I not have enough milk anymore?

Default Re: Needs to nurse more often all of a sudden

Yep, three months is prime time for a growth spurt. Go with the flow and it should return to normal in a few days. He's in the process of making you produce more milk. The more he nurses, the more you make. Hang in there momma!!

It's supply and demand. If you feed him as often as he demands he will up your supply.

Yup. It definitely sounds like a growth spurt to me. Completely normal. Your milk is not gone...your baby is just telling your body that he's growing. Smart kid .

Tiana

Question Re: Needs to nurse more often all of a sudden

Are they supposed to be extra fussy during a growth spurt? His reflux meds used to work and now maybe they don't. He screams and spits up after every feeding. Is this normal for a growth spurt or is something wrong?

Extra fussiness is also very common with growth spurts.

If you are using Zantac for reflux the dosage may need to be adjusted since it is weight based. Talk to your pediatrician about this.

Also see:
    My baby is fussy! Is something wrong?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Reflux meds need to be adjusted frequently. As he grows, the dose needs to be upped. Mine gets REALLY fussy during growth spurts

Question Re: Needs to nurse more often all of a sudden

Thanks for the advice. I read in that kellymom website he could be fussy because he is learning to roll over now too. I called the pedi and they upped his meds. Do you know about how long after I start giving him more med that it will start working good again?

Just a day or two for mine. I was actually able to stop the meds when he turned 3mo old. I quit drinking dairy and that helped more than the meds I think. Mine is also fussy when getting ready to hit a mile-stone. Well, gotta go, DS just had an explosion in his britches!!!!!!