Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OT: Rash?

Default OT: Rash?

Posted this on the Elimination board first, but I've only had 6 views and 0 responses. I'm hoping with the higher traffic on this board I may get some advice. If I should post this elsewhere, lmk. TIA!

I have a 4 w.o. who has had a slight rash for essentially two weeks. We change her frequently and are using disposables (we cloth diaper but use disposables for the first two months -- too much laundry with our big family otherwise!) Anyway, the rash is small, and there's only a little bit on each side of her anus. It doesn't appear yeasty at all. I've been using the all-natural version of Boudreaux's, and at times it seems to be helping; other times not. I've considered a food allergy/sensitivity, but would that manifest this early on? IIRC, food allergies/sensitivities don't typically show up til later in the first year of life (something about the gut not being fully developed or something?) My DD#1 and #2 both have dairy allergies, but it never affected them this young. We are bfing just fine at the moment.

The rash almost looks like a brushburn. Not sure how else to describe it. Just wanted to get some opinions?

Thanks!
    Wendy

Wife of my hero since 12/2006.

Mom to DD born 09/2006, nursed for 4 mos.
    DD born 12/2008, nursed 9 mos.
    DS born 09/2010, nursed 8 weeks, started cloth diapering at 10 mos.
    DD born 11/2011, so far nursing well and determined to make it a year! Cloth diapering.

Catholic, work-outside-the-home, student. My best friend says I'm addicted to babies...guilty as charged!

Default Re: OT: Rash?

maybe its the type of disposables bothering her? what do you use for wipes? also maybe try a different ointment. sometimes the bourdeaux one didnt work for us but a&d ointment did work. we alternated
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    maybe its the type of disposables bothering her? what do you use for wipes? also maybe try a different ointment. sometimes the bourdeaux one didnt work for us but a&d ointment did work. we alternated
    We've switched disposable brands three times just in case. The wipes are sensitive wipes, target brand, no fragrance, alcohol free. Maybe I will try just washclothes for wipes for a while. Will try a different ointment, too -- I honestly hadn't thought of that since B's has worked SO well for all of her sibs in the past.

Thanks for your help!
    Wendy

DD born 11/2011, so far nursing well and determined to make it a year! Cloth diapering.

Catholic, work-outside-the-home, student. My best friend says I'm addicted to babies...guilty as charged!

yea i use a&d for dd a lot, i like bourdeauxs too but her rashes responded better to the a&d. they make two types, the one that worked for us was the orange colored tube that says skin protectant too and it looks like vaseline, not the blue tube that has white cream like desitin. hopefully you can get her some relief!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I love the California baby cream. Just my two cents
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks, Mamas! I will try both suggestions
    Wendy

My son has had a rash from around 2 months until the present at 9 months. Our previous pediatrician said that it was yeast and after treating with monistat, nystatin, grapefruit seed extract, and gentian violet for 3 months I finally got a referral to a dermatologist. It ended up being eczema. Eucerin Calming Creme (and Triple Paste when it is really bad) clear it up within hours when it flares up. When it gets so bad that it bleeds one application of hydrocortisone cream 1% helps sooooo much and so quickly but I know that with some people this is controversial. The 3 or 4 times in his life I have had to use it are very worth it to me considering the painful bleeding rash that he had before.

His rash was hard to diagnose because it would go from looking like purpleish red tiny blisters that bled if wiped too hard to scaley, flakey, peely normal colored skin. If you can't get a good solution push for a referral! I really wish I had done it sooner.
    Last edited by @llli*cherron; December 13th, 2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: awesome typos!

Noticed you were using Target brand...they were the ONLY ones DD1 could use, but DD2 (nearly 6 months) reacts similarly as your LO. Maybe change wipes, too, in addition to above. I did notice a difference within a day. Not sure what the issue was, but she didn't respond to those too well. Also, I swear by triple paste or Dr. Smith's!!!

I will actually wash baby's bum in the sink with baby soap and water the pat them dry. The key is letting it dry before applying anything. Then I use Lansinoh or a type of A&D or aquaphor as a barrier. We usually have no or very little rash then unless I have been hitting the dairy buffet.