Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to provide?

Question How much to provide?

Hey everyone! I'll be going back to work January 3rd. My early Christmas present from DH and FIL was a Medela Freestyle.

DS will be about 4.5 months old when he starts daycare. He nurses on demand. How do I know how much milk to send with him to daycare? We haven't had any extended separations from each other -- the most has been a three hour stretch. His nursing is not that regular...he'll go about 1.5-2 hours right now but some days he'll want to nurse much more frequently.

Also, what happens if I send too little milk at first? I'm petrified of this happening. I suppose that's a question for the DCP. I figured I should send more than what I think he may need at first to be on the safe side. Can I safely store the extra in a case like this and send it the next day?

This pumping thing is gonna be...interesting.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: How much to provide?

The general rule is 1 - 1.5 oz per hour you are away from the baby. My LO tends to eat less often when he is away from me than when he can nurse. If the milk is frozen and thawed, the rule is that it has to be used within 24hrs. If it is fresh you can keep it for several days.

Make sure that your DCP is used to feeding bf babies. For example, they will tend to eat less, more often. (Apparently there is a movement afoot to make this standard for ff as well.) Very important is that if the baby doesn't finish a bottle, the rest can be saved until the next feeding, which you cannot do with formula. Some DCP will not do this; in that case pack more bottles with less in them.

Here is some information on bottle-feeding the breast fed baby.

And make sure you join us over on the pumping chit-chat thread when you are pumping!
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Awesome, thanks!
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

I was so nervous about how much to give when DS started at daycare. The first day, I gave WAY too much, lol. We worked it out so that he was getting 2.5 ounces every 2 hours... and then I upped it to 3 ounces every 2 hours. That worked well for a while. Around 5 months, I switched to 4 ounces every 3 hours, and that is working perfectly for us.

My daycare provider throws away the milk if DS doesn't want it, so I was really petrified of that. That is why I started out with small amounts, closer together.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

My son goes to Granny's so that is different, but my sister had to send her son to day care and she always just sent what she got pumping the day before, to make it easy. If she pumped a ton she would save one bag or something, but generally she sent what she pumped.

I started with 3oz bottles every 2 hours at 4.5 months, and it was upped at around 6 months to 3.75 every 3 hours. Now that he is eating solids, he sometimes only takes two bottles in a full 9 hour day.