Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby rejecting a bottle

Default Baby rejecting a bottle

Hi guys,

I apologize if you've covered this topic many times and I missed the discussion. I'm in need of some good advice: I've have had the luxury of always being close to my daughter and only away for 2 days a week, (6 hrs.) when she would be fed breast milk via bottle from her dad. Sonora has been able to take milk from both breast and bottle up until a month ago.

It seems like overnight she decided that the "boob" was going to be her one and only method of eating. We went a few weeks without offering her the bottle because we went on vacation and I was home with her more and she was only on the breast.

We cosleep and she gets a lot of eating in at night. My problem is that we're relocating and my new job will have me doing occasional overnights and much longer days away from home. I'm a "Nervous Nelly" about not being there for her in bed and also her rejecting the bottle from daddy as she has been doing these last 3 weeks.

Everyone keeps telling me that she's teething and this is normal. Other people are suggesting we switch to a sippee cup. I have a great supply and hope to bfeed her at least a year and a half. We're wasting so much pumped milk with her rejecting the bottles.

I also fret about sleeping apart from her, she's used to cuddling with me. I feel like I'm abounding her.

Thanks for any help

Default Re: Baby rejecting a bottle

You've got a lot of changes coming up! I can see why you'd be so nervous about your DD not taking a bottle.

Have you tried a sippy cup with your DD? Do you think she'd take it? If not, you could try a couple different kinds of bottles to see if there's one she will take. Or a couple different sippy cups. You'll figure it out eventually, but it might take some trial and error. Kellymom.com has some good info on introducing a sippy (see the links on the bottom of the page): http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

The same goes for sleeping-- I know it will be difficult not to be there, and it may be hard on your DD and your DH until they find their routine, but they'll work something out. Does your DH help with putting your DD to sleep now (either at night or for naps)? I'm guessing yes, given how long you are away, but that might help to establish Dad as a legitimate source of comfort at night (at least sometimes).

You are not abandoning her You'll get it all worked out in time.
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

oops! double post
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How old is your baby? If you are nursing frequently when you are together it may be that she doesn't actually need the bottle.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous