Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Discouraging Biting - 4 months old

Default Discouraging Biting - 4 months old

My son is 4 months old and has recently started chomping down on my nipple towards the end of the feed, but then he will want to nurse some more. I am afraid he will continue to do this when he gets teeth so I am looking for some suggestions to get him to stop. He will chomp and then pull or turn away - OUCH! I never had this problem with my DD so I don't really know what to do. TIA
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Discouraging Biting - 4 months old

I think the only thing you can do at this age is say "Ouch!" and religiously unlatch, every single time. Eventually baby learns that chomping = no milk. This is usually a pretty short-lived phase (although it can be an unpleasant one!) so it will probably only take a week or so.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My son did that too. Usually at night in bed, so I would yelp, unlatch, and roll away. He would fuss and cry a bit and I would eventually roll back. It didn't last too long. Caused me some nipple trauma though!! Watch out for that!

thanks! i will try!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby