Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to increase your milk suppy

Default how to increase your milk suppy

I am wondering ways to increase your milk suppy. my baby is 2 1/2 weeks old and cries after nursing like still hungry. what else can i do to make it so that i have adequate milk to feed.

Default Re: how to increase your milk suppy

Fussy after feeding has a LOT of causes. If baby has adequate wets and stools, you have enough milk, especially if baby is at or above birth weight.

2.5 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt, where baby is hungry all the time.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

when i pump though i have maybe ounce and half am i doing something wrong?

That's a normal amount to be pumping at this point. Most babies take in around 2 oz at the breast, and babies tend to be more efficient at emptying the breast than the pump is. Pumping output depends on:
    - The type of pump you have (manual pumps tend to be the least effective, single electric pumps are a step up, double electric pumps are even better, and hospital-grade pumps are the best)
    - How well you respond to your pump
    - Your level of expertise at pumping (pumping is a learned skill)
    - What time of day you pump (most moms have more abundant milk early in the morning and at night, and less abundant milk in the afternoon and evening)
    - Whether you pump after nursing or instead of nursing

How is nursing going aside from the fussiness? How often is baby nursing in a 24 hour period? How many wet and poopy diaper does he make in a 24 hour period? What color are his poops? Has he regained his birthweight? How does nursing feel? The answers to these questions will help us know best how to help you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nursing feels fine. Had tannish yellowish stool. Plenty of wet diapers but I was giving extra breastmilk I got from another mother because baby was not satisfied. I usually try to pump after nursing. Not quite back to birth weight but close .

OK then.

Easiest way to increase your supply: let baby drive. Seriously. Just let baby nurse as much as he wants, when he wants. And yes, this will seem like that's all he does. And that is OK. Go to bed, make yourself comfortable (like take some snacks and some drinks) and nurse. This will end. But if you let baby drive, it will end faster Keep switchign baby back and forth, back and forth between the breasts. Most nursing problems and supply problems can be solved if you take several days and do a nursing vacation. Kick everyone out and just nurse.

Next way, if you can't do that, is to pump after every feeding. And when I say pump, I mean pump with a GOOD pump (hospital grade is best, but a professional grade, NOT a cheap pump from X-mart). Pump even though you might not get anything, and pump for like 10 minutes.

Give supplements at the breast via an SNS system, such as the Lact-Aid or Medela SNS. This increases stimulus to your breasts yet gives baby any extra supplements.

Try some herbs, such as fenugreek (works great for me), blessed thistle, etc.

Check out the book Making More Milk.

Finally, if nothing else helps, ask your doctor about medications. Many mothers have good luck with domperidone. It can be difficult to obtain.

But nothing at all will replace your baby removing milk at a frequent interval.

And I did have two babies who did need to nurse every hour...and I have an OS. I have pumped for my fourth, and he spent his first two months with a feeder in his face It could be baby is just crabby that way
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you've been supplementing since early on, it's possible that your baby has a case of nipple confusion, aslo called flow preference. It's much easier to get milk from a bottle than it is from the breast, and some babies rapidly come to prefer the bottles because they are so much easier. Nipple confusion/flow preference can cause a lot of fussiness at the breast: the fussing is baby's way of saying "Hey, where's my bottle?!"

Newborns are supposed to regain their birth weight by around 2 weeks postpartum. The fact that your LO hasn't done this yet is something to look into. So, can you tell us how you ended up supplementing? Was your baby premature, jaundiced, sleepy, or simply not gaining fast enough? Or was it just the fussiness that prompted you tostart supplementing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i supplemented with other breastmilk because of her losing weight. she was only couple ounces from birth weight and doctor was very happy. For the one reply what is an sns system? and do i ask my midwife about nursing or someone else?

SNS is a supplemental nursing system

Some midwives know about nursing, but really, your best bet for breastfeeding help...a board certified lactation consultant or an LLL leader.
    Susan