Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Infection: How do you know?

Question Breast Infection: How do you know?

How do you know if your breast is infected? I heard it can really make you sick and may stop your breast feeding? I'm pretty sore on the right side, but more towards my ribs. I thought it was just a clogged duct, but now I'm not sure. If it is just a clogged duct, how to do you unclog it? I've tried the shower and rubbing it out with hot water while pumping...or is it still sore even after it pops? Don't know what to think, help!

Default Re: Breast Infection: How do you know?

Most cases of mastitis start with a clogged duct. If you have a sore breast, but no fever or flu symptoms, it's probably a clogged duct. You massage and massage it, with wet heat (hot compresses, hot showers, etc.), and you know it's better if it feels less lumpy and full and less specifically tender. But all that massaging, etc., usually leaves some tenderness and bruising in its own right, so it's often still a bit sore for a couple of days, even. Does that help at all?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

When I have an infection, I know it. I feel sick.

Clogged ducts can be super painful. And I have had them take some days to clear, particularly the ones like you describe.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That does help, however, only because I did have a fever all day on Wednesday of 102.00. I can't imagine the fever goes away if you have untreated mastitis?? I will keep an eye on it, for now a really hot bath!

Exclamation Re: Supplementing for the first time...

I just fed my three month old son formula for the first time since he was two days old and I think I am going to freak out. I try to pump when he's done eating and try every two hours and the demand equals supply is not working. I DO NOT want my son on formula and I'm nearly in tears!

Mama: It's going to be okay!

Why did you use the formula? Are you concerned that your baby isn't getting enough at the breast, or is it the pain that made you feel like you couldn't nurse? Either way this is totally fixable!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's hard to pump in addition to nursing, especially if you're sick! Why do you feel you need to supplement? A bad clogged duct can lower supply a little bit, but the best thing for it is to nurse, nurse, nurse!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes, I knew he was still hungary and I didn't have anything for him. I'm trying to pump right after he's done nursing, but I don't think that it is helping. I'm not going to give up, but why when he is done nursing does it hurt so bad?? It burns all the way around the underside of my breast and goes away. They do that even after ten minutes or so and sometimes it just hurts so bad, I can't touch them much less put the pump on them? So, afraid I'm going to fail at this!

Mama, when baby is still hungry after nursing the best thing to di is to put him back to the breast and let him nurse more. Supplementing with formula can quickly kill your supply- frankly, supplementing is why many women "fail" at breastfeeding. Gradually you use more and more formula, and the baby nurses less and less... You see how it can go!

Pain at the conclusion of a feeding can be caused by several things, including:
    - sensation of milk ducts refilling
    - vasospasm http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html
    - thrush http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"