Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old refusing breast

Default 4 month old refusing breast

I am at a total loss on what to do. My daughter is 4 months old and she is refusing to breastfeed now. She gets upset when she starts to nurse and my let down doesn't happen immediately. It was never a problem until the last few days. My husband had been using a medium flow nipple while I was at work but we switched back to a slow flow in hopes that she would go back to nursing but she still refuses. I have been back at work for about 6 weeks now and she was taking a bottle while I am at work. She has always breastfed at night no problem but now the last 2 nights she screams and cries when I try and get her to breastfeed. It is the same during the day. I don't know what to do. I can't stand to see her so upset and last night I spent 45 minutes trying to get her to nurse. I ended up giving her a bottle because she was not giving in. Does anyone have any advice I what I can do? I hate the thought of having to just pump. I have a good supply. Please help!

Default Re: 4 month old refusing breast

Any chance of taking a few days off and nursing? Because this is nipple confusion/preference.

Also, consider using an SNS to give her immediate satisfaction when she does latch on.
    EPing stinks. Do not give up without a fight!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I haven't personally dealt with bottle preference as I don't use bottles but my son does get upset waiting for letdown when he is teething. It's very upsetting when they are pulling off the breast crying.

What I have done is if he's really upset, I pump or hand express just till letdown and then put him on the breast. Sometimes the cycle of them crying and making letdown take even longer is just too much. I've also done this when I had a supply dip from af.

Another thing I have done (mostly because of my own anxiety) is start humming or singing to him when he latches on. It seems to distract us both while we wait.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

As with PP, my LO doesn't take a bottle, but I will sing or "shhhh" when he is having trouble settling down to nurse. Sometimes, if he is fussy, I will blow cool air on his forehead -- this helps him to zone out and focus on nursing.

Have you tried getting your LO to latch and nurse in different positions? Sometimes mine just won't settle ...until I offer a second nursing position (i.e. laying down instead of cradle, etc).
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

You might want to try pumping for a minute or two before offering the breast- that might make your letdown happen a little faster and thereby reduce your LO's frustration.

Sorry mama, this sounds very hard!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Another thought- my friend's son had a strong bottle preference from 5-10 months. Her "rule" was that she would not personally give him a bottle, ever. Her husband or their nanny gave bottles but she did not. When she was present, she nursed. She attributes this to the reason they are still nursing at almost 3 years old. And the bottle preference went away at 10 months and he was a total booby baby from then on!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Thanks Ladies! She has been breastfeeding again since Sunday. It took quite the effort but so far so good. Unfortunately she has an ear infection now and she is not eating as well as she normally does. This too shall pass!!