Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mom - 3 Day Old!

Default New Mom - 3 Day Old!

Hi guys, I am posting for my very disappointed wife, so forgive me if some of this seems naive. My wife has been trying to breast feed every 2-3 hours as suggested. Our son finds the nipple, mouths, opens... and then falls asleep. We've tried football, cradle, "laid-back", side... he just falls asleep.

What we've been doing so far is pumping then feeding by letting him suck a finger and then using a syringe to give him the milk (while sucking finger). The milk seems to be coming fine, the collostrum is now transitioning...

She is very very frustrated. We had the nurses help, and we have someone coming tomorrow a.m., but is what we are doing going to cause nipple confusing problems? Anyone have this same issue? How did you work through it?

Default Re: New Mom - 3 Day Old!

My son always fell asleep at the breast too. I did everything I could to annoy him to keep him awake - undressing, tickling, blowing on his face, changing his diaper between sides, etc.

Is your son a little jaundice? Mine was, just a tad, which contributed to the sleepiness. I ended up pumping for 2 months, which sucked. What you're doing doesnt sound like it will cause nipple confusion... but try to have your wife put him to the breast more - instead of pumping. Good luck!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Yes, he is slightly jaundiced. We've tried the tickling, cold cloth, blowing, etc... We're going to stick with trying "laid-back" for now as he just made some encouraging progress (but still falls disinterested or asleep once he gets there). I am sorry you had to pump for two months, bravo to you!

You need to feed the baby, first off. Preferably straight from the breast but sometimes moms do need to pump. I pumped for over a year but most moms don't need to do that. We tried tickling, undressing, changing positions, washcloth, all those things you're trying, my little girl wasn't premature but was very very sleepy the first few weeks. Is the nurse a lactation consultant? Keep offering the breast, keeping getting baby to latch on. Anytime baby roots, your wife should be putting him on the breast. 3 days is really young and you definitely have time for everything to end up going great.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

It's still VERY early days, and you can get this right. I like that you are doing the syringe rather than a bottle. I know it's a pain, but you are saving yourselves a lot more pain down the line and really increasing the chances of successful breastfeeding by doing that! For me, baby nursed better when my "real" milk came in. The milk came out with such force that baby HAD to stay awake!! I hope you'll find things getting easier in the next couple of days. Hang in there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My first was a sleeper too. We eventually just ended up doing our best to wake her and leaving her on the breast for hours. We were panicing because she was so small and had GI issues and rented one of the fancy nursing scales from the hospital. Turned out she was eating, just slowly and discreetly. Even our IBCLC couldn't see her swallow. I would try to see an IBCLC at you hospital or elsewhere and try to schedule an appointment. Never hurts to have LO's latch checked and they can do a before/after nursing weight and you can see what's really getting in there. I'd even tell them that baby is a sleeper and you might want to leave them on a while just to determine if they're nursing slowly.

It might be fine and you could forget the pump (not cuddly!). Regardless you'll have more info. Babies don't stay sleepy forever!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*persephone-ashes View Post
    My first was a sleeper too. We eventually just ended up doing our best to wake her and leaving her on the breast for hours. We were panicing because she was so small and had GI issues and rented one of the fancy nursing scales from the hospital. Turned out she was eating, just slowly and discreetly. Even our IBCLC couldn't see her swallow. I would try to see an IBCLC at you hospital or elsewhere and try to schedule an appointment. Never hurts to have LO's latch checked and they can do a before/after nursing weight and you can see what's really getting in there. I'd even tell them that baby is a sleeper and you might want to leave them on a while just to determine if they're nursing slowly.

It might be fine and you could forget the pump (not cuddly!). Regardless you'll have more info. Babies don't stay sleepy forever!
    That's for sure! Congratulations on your baby and way to go for being a supportive husband to your wife on this wonderful breastfeeding journey.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

My little guy still dozes while feeding and he's five weeks now. He was late pre-term with jaundice and trouble regulating his blood sugar so we had to be certain to feed every two hours and supplement with formula thru a bottle too. It's frustrating and exhausting but once he hit three weeks, his original due date, he had gained enough weight to go to on demand and almost strictly breast fed. We haven't had any nipple confusion even tho he still takes formula thru the bottle sometimes, its more important to make sure he was getting enough food. The first three weeks were SUPER hard but it does get better! My husband helped by burping and walking him in between breasts and just having him awake with me helped SO much. Hang in there!! It does get better.
    First time Mom • Theron James born 11-1-11 @ 37wks via C-Section • Livin' lovin' life and looking for support and advice!

They sent us home from the hospital w/ our DD at day 3 PP, and she was jaundiced. She kept falling asleep and didn't seem to be eating, so we gave her bottles. When we went to our 1st pediatrician check, her bilirubin was 18.4 and we were a direct admit via the ER to the NICU at the children's hospital for 13 days. I am not trying to scare you, but have you had the 1st pediatrician appt. yet? If so, what were the bili levels?

p.s. ITA w/ PP... we had to offer the breast and then a bottle of EBM with human fortifer mixed in for about 1-2 weeks after we came home from the NICU. After she proved to be gaining weight and her bili's were consistently going down, we didn't have to supplement any longer, but she still had issues latching b/c her mouth was so small. I used a nipple shiled for several weeks. It was annoying, but it really seemed to help
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Kudos to you for reaching out for help for your family.
    Sleepy babies are common in the beginning and should grow out of it quickly. My son was the same way, for the first 7-10 days we had to practically make him dance to wake him up. It will pass. Do the best you can, continue to have your wife offer the breast. Pump and syringe feed as needed until he is able to eat more
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months