Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decongestants/Anti-histamines & my milk

Default Decongestants/Anti-histamines & my milk

Hi ladies...
    I am now suffering from a doozy of a cold - nose is stuffed up, eyes are watering, etc.

Last week, my doctor put me on an antibiotic (Amoxicillin) for my bacterial pharyngitis. Since then, the cold has come on.

I called my OBGYN and chatted with a nurse there about what types of meds I can take that WON'T affect my milk production. She said that any decongestant or anti-histamine COULD (and most likely would) cause my production to go down.

I have used a netipot. I am using nasal spray. They are easing the horrifying discomfort I had yesterday.

Any other suggestions? I don't want to affect my milk to the point that baby isn't getting what he needs, but I also need to breathe so I can sleep and function for the rest of my family.

What do you/have you done to take care of these issues?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Decongestants/Anti-histamines & my m

Here is some information on cold medications and nursing. Despite what your OB said, there is no indication that antihistamines will affect your supply; the problem is with pseudoephidrine (Sudafed). I have had pretty good luck with phenylephidrine, with both decreasing congestion and not affecting supply. If your supply is good, you could try pseudoephidrine when you are particularly stuffy and back off if it seems to be hurting your supply.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Ok, I end up in this situation several times a year. And I do take Sudafed or I'm miserable, and the post-nasal drop sets me up for an asthma attack that may or may not put me in the hospital. And while I was nursing directly from the breast, I didn't notice a difference, but that could be because I curled up and let baby nurse on demand. I have noticed my supply takes a hit now, but a) I'm pumping so I see production, and b) no pump is as good as a baby, so my supply isn't as good as it probably is while nursing.

In order to manage it, try taking the lowest effective dose. Don't take an extended release product. Nurse as much as you can. And if your supply decreases, it isn't permanent if as soon as you can, drop any supplements (like freezer milk) and nurse more.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oxymetazoline (the nose spray) is okay to use.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Can a natural option help you...something like elder berry or extra vitamin C....?

Thanks for all the support. I decided to err on the side of caution, and I used the netipot 2x a day(those things are miraculous - I'd never used one before), used the Vick's vaporub on my neck and upper chest, and used non-menthol cough drops to ease my dry throat.

I feel much better and seem to really just be dealing with the stuffy nose at this point.

Here's hoping I don't need to worry about any of this again!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com