Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the hunger ever go away??

Default Does the hunger ever go away??

I can honestly say I have never been hungry like I am since starting to BF. Does this go away ever?

I thought I was hungry when I was pregnant. That was nothing compared to this. When people pick on me about it I just look at them and say "it takes calories to make calories" (while thinking :P bite me I am hungry).
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: Does the hunger ever go away??

Eventually. I never gained a pound for all the eating I was doing. They're probably jealous. Just try to eat healthy.

I ate insanely and lost tons of weight with my first two babies. Didn't have the same level of hunger with the last two.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was as hungry nursing my twins as I was thorough the pregnancy (and that was really hungry, considering I gained ~60lbs!). The hunger did subside, but I took awhile (probably at least 4 months). Now I am eating similar to pre-pregnancy days.
    Healthy snacks are the key to help manage your hunger without eating bad foods/gaining weight.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

funny post!

My LO is 8 months old and I am still ravenous all the time. I am amazed at how much food I can eat, at once and throughout the day. I used to eat very little before pregnancy and now I eat more than my DH! When my ILs visited 2 months post-partum, I think my MIL was a little startled by how much I was eating. I had to explain to her that BF burns a lot of calories (she only BF'd for 6 weeks).

I've been back to my pre-pregnancy weight for several months even though I eat so much. BUT I am on an elimination diet (no dairy, soy, gluten, nuts), which means that most of the high-cal foods are off limits. Also I have hypoglycemia, makes the hunger even worse. Speaking of which... it's lunch time...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

For me, I lost my pregnancy weight and a bit more while eating a huge amount of food. The insane hunger turned to just more than average hunger around 6 months and then noticeably declined after I pump weaned. Then I think it was back to prepregnancy normal, although Joe was still nursing frequently.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Weight is not even an issue for me. I only gained 4# (changed diet drastically when got PG and use to be a wino), was down 17# leaving the hospital and at my 6 week I was down 31# from pre prego weight. I was quite overweight before. I am getting closer and closer to an ideal weight for my frame.

I try to have good snacks through out the day. It just surprises me that I can eat what I do and still loose weight. A lot of my family is surprised at what I can eat now and that I am hungry like 2 hrs later.

Hi Klisti, around 3/4 months my pregnancy weight starts dropping off quickly. I read on the AskDrSears website that that is a typical time too, because your baby is now ramping up his caloric needs but still bfing for 100% of his calories.

#1 hasn't weaned yet so I'm not sure if/when the hunger dies down. I eat peanuts, raisins and chocolate chips at least once a day to take the edge off.

Hey, just today I was putting together a skirt lining I traced two weeks ago, and I'm already less than 1cm away from the hip size below it, my pre-pregnancy size. Even my waist is getting smaller, and that is saying a lot. Have you checked yourself in the mirror lately? You might get a pleasant surprise
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I am not as hungry this time around as I was when I was nursing my DD. She nursed a lot more though and always wanted to be walked around This little guy is so laid back. I have lost all but a few lbs of what I gained (25lb). But I have another 25 to go that I am going to have to work for. That is what I was over before getting pg.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Hi Klisti, around 3/4 months my pregnancy weight starts dropping off quickly. I read on the AskDrSears website that that is a typical time too, because your baby is now ramping up his caloric needs but still bfing for 100% of his calories.

#1 hasn't weaned yet so I'm not sure if/when the hunger dies down. I eat peanuts, raisins and chocolate chips at least once a day to take the edge off.

Hey, just today I was putting together a skirt lining I traced two weeks ago, and I'm already less than 1cm away from the hip size below it, my pre-pregnancy size. Even my waist is getting smaller, and that is saying a lot. Have you checked yourself in the mirror lately? You might get a pleasant surprise
    Oh none of my clothes fit from before they are all to big. I actually wore my pre pregnancy jeans like a week and a half after DS was born. I am putting off buying stuff because I am still loosing a little at a time. I want to even out before I buy.

I still don't fit into my old skinny jeans (from way before I got married and DH started cooking all the wonderful food he does). But that is just because my hips spread to much and they cant get past them.

I eat a banana and an apple the first few times I get hungry after breakfast and then I go for granola, nuts, cheese etc.

DH picked on me the first few weeks, when he was bringing me food all the time as all I did was nurse. He said that I had 1st breakfast, 2nd breakfast, (sometimes even brunch), lunch, liner (kinda like lunch kinda like dinner), dinner and a before bed snack. He named all my meals it was funny, especially because he was making all of them for me. He sticks up for me when people pick more than I do. He knows that the better I eat the better LO eats.