Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decreased time at breast?

Default decreased time at breast?

Hello ladies. My son is 5 weeks 3 days old. The past few days he has spent significantly less time at the breast during feedings. As little as 5 minutes on 1 and sometimes refusal of the other. He seems satisfied, sleeps well. I've tried to reassure myself that he must have become a more efficient eater along with perhaps a good milk flow on my end... but I'm having trouble with it considerring that sometimes he can go for 10 minutes each side. (Rarely these days.) I generally get about 5 oz when I pump for 5 to 10 minutes. Is that normal?
    I'm constantly trying to feed him now due to my thinking he can't possibly be getting enough! With only eating for 5 minutes and then going 3 hours before wanting to eat again, but he just ends up crying and not latching on. Is it really possible for a 5 week old to be eating sufficiently in 5 minutes?

Default Re: decreased time at breast?

It sounds like you've got a lot of milk, mama. He's probably just extracting it really efficiently now. He'd be acting unsettled and/or having fewer diapers if he were going hungry, but he sounds like a happy well-fed little guy. Try to go off your baby's behavior instead of any "rules".
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    It sounds like you've got a lot of milk, mama. He's probably just extracting it really efficiently now. He'd be acting unsettled and/or having fewer diapers if he were going hungry, but he sounds like a happy well-fed little guy. Try to go off your baby's behavior instead of any "rules".

Watch the pumping. If you are easily getting that much when you pump, you have an oversupply, and that has its own set of problems. If you don't need to pump, don't.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Nothing to worry about, except perhaps the oversupply! Unless you absolutely need to pump, or are trying to build up a stash for work, I think I'd avoid the pump for now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son has been a very quick nurser since that age too. I also had a moderate oversupply. I did quit pumping because of it. I noticed when I was pumping that I would get 5+ oz in less than 5 minutes pumping. My rationale was that my baby was even more efficient than the best pump, so he must be getting plenty of milk. And from there I just monitored diapers. If they were fine I didn't worry!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I do have to pump. Going back to work next week. I've been pumping that much for a while now and I've not had any discomforts. I've never even been engorged! Id rather have too much than too little for sure! Thanks though. Glad to have some reassurance. There is def no shortage in dirty diapers. I swear he just has a nonstop pee flow. Lol.

I'm having this same issue, though my DD is only 3.5 weeks old. Should I be trying to push more frequent feeds? She's having plenty of wet and dirty diapers. I'm kinda like the OP - nervous that she's not old enough to be this effecient at emptying the breast. Thoughts?
    Wendy

Wife of my hero since 12/2006.

Mom to DD born 09/2006, nursed for 4 mos.
    DD born 12/2008, nursed 9 mos.
    DS born 09/2010, nursed 8 weeks, started cloth diapering at 10 mos.
    DD born 11/2011, so far nursing well and determined to make it a year! Cloth diapering.

Catholic, work-outside-the-home, student. My best friend says I'm addicted to babies...guilty as charged!

In general, if your baby seems satisfied and healthy, and is having adequate wet/dirty diapers, it is safe to assume that baby is doing well and follow baby's cues for frequency/duration of feeds.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thanks, Teal :-)
    Wendy

Wife of my hero since 12/2006.

Mom to DD born 09/2006, nursed for 4 mos.
    DD born 12/2008, nursed 9 mos.
    DS born 09/2010, nursed 8 weeks, started cloth diapering at 10 mos.
    DD born 11/2011, so far nursing well and determined to make it a year! Cloth diapering.

Catholic, work-outside-the-home, student. My best friend says I'm addicted to babies...guilty as charged!

It's nice to know my son isn't the only one doing this! I was just wondering the same thing. DS is 5 weeks 1 day old, and recently he's begun to spend 5 minutes on one side before nodding off to sleep and he's not hungry for another 2-3 hours. For awhile I was trying to wake him up to nurse on the other side, but he refused. Wet/dirty diapers aren't an issue, so I wasn't too worried about it. It's just hard to imagine that such a little guy can eat for such a short amount of time and be getting all that he needs!