Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: just popped a milk blister

Default just popped a milk blister

I am very excited about this since I've been dealing with a lot of pain off and on for a few days now. I had some plugged ducts along with a milk blister first...got rid of it and then the very next morning saw a white spot on my nipple! So the past two days I've been doing warm compresseses and soaking all day long before feedings. Nothing was really happening then all of a sudden tonight the pain was becoming unbearable. I soaked twice for ten minutes each time and then rubbed with a washcloth, finally had to try to pop like a pimple and alas a hardenned piece of milk pops out!!
    But now I want to make sure I don't get it again and now that I have an "opening/crack" I want to make sure it doesn't get infected.
    What's the best thing to do?
    Also, is it normal to still feel some pain? Or could it be possible I didn't get everything? I expressed and a lot of milk came out.

Thx!
    Mercedes

1st time mommy to lil D 2/19/11

LOVE

Default Re: just popped a milk blister

If you want, you can dab a bit of antibiotic ointment on the spot. My LC suggested Bacitracin as being safe for nursing- the baby will ingest only a very small amount. You can also practice rigorous hygeine- wash hands before touching the area, wash your bras, towels, and clothes on hot. A dab of lanolin ointment may help with pain and healing as well. But that's all probably unnecesary, since cracks/broken skin in the nipple area generally heal without incident even if you do nothing.

It is quite normal to still feel some pain after the blister has been popped, since you can think of a blister as a very small crack. As long as you're not feeling continued plugged ducts, you can be pretty confident you got everything flowing again, and all you need to do is to wait for things to heal, which generally happens in under a week.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great to hear. Can't wait til the pain goes away...it still hurts to nurse & after.
    Yes, I don't feel any more plugged ducts....so I'm hoping I am home free....for now. (I am so scared of getting more) . An LLL leader a while back had recommended lotrimin...which is what I have at home right now. This should work right? (I just have to make sure to wipe before nursing)
    I will look for bacitracin.

Have you heard of vitamin b6 helping recurring plugged ducts?
    I tried lecithin and it gave me stomach pain & nausea.

Thx so much!! :-)
    Mercedes

1st time mommy to lil D 2/19/11

LOVE

Lotrimin is for yeast infections, AFAIK. I don't think it would do much for a blister or minor crack unless the root cause is yeast (thrush).

I've never heard of using B6 for plugs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

wow, my nursing days are over (although my four year old won't leave my boobs alone) this taught me something new. I hope the pain doesn't return...