Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so confused/discouraged.

Exclamation so confused/discouraged.

Sorry for all of the questions...
    I'm a first time mother and really don't know what to do when it comes to breast feeding.
    So as most of you probably know from reading my past posts I have relactated.. or so I thought.
    My son has eaten only from me, no supplementing for over 4 days with MORE than the recommended wet/dirty diapers. He has gained and everything...
    Come today he latches but cries I'm thinking my supply took a dive.
    At 5am he woke up to feed but it wa only around 5 mins, so I decided I should pump 10 mins after...nothing came out of either breast.

After that he wanted to feed at 7 so I go to feed him and he just cries.. of course I panic, idk what to do? I know he needs to eat so I give him the sns.. but I clamp it often so he's not getting the full stream (which is what I am doing now as I write this)

He's just been crying all day over this.. also I get engorged but its AFTER he's been sucking awhile. I always thought if I feel engorged, let him nurse.. but its opposite. They're not engorged til after he eats.

Like my pp said he eats every 1-3 hrs in the day every 4 at night. I know everyone said my supply should be established since he's been eating from me with more than the recommended wet/dirty diapers and weight gain, but could it be possible I'm not making anything now?

Also I wanted to let you know, I caught mil giving a bottle yet again..even though I've thrown out all the nipples.. makes my think she bought some on her own.. could this have something to do with it? It was only once, but could he be confused? But why would I pump nothing?

What should I do? Try and nurse him every 2? My hospital rental is up... should I rent it again and start all over? I'm so confused.. I got sooo far, I don't want to give up now.. but I am so discouraged.

Default Re: so confused/discouraged.

Could the crying be normal baby behaviour? Alot of moms have times where they wonder if they are making enough. (gtg baby's crying) I hope everything works out for you!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

He's crying when hes hungry and tries to suck and then cries more.

Or he's Crying because the position isn't working for him or something you ate doesn't agree with him. If you are still getting engorged the answer to your question is NO. There is no possibility you aren't making milk. There IS a possibility that he isn't eating it when he latches. Because he is striking or doesn't like the taste of your milk today. Have you recently started your period? Or started working out? Or working out more heavily than usual?

Way too lazy for formula

I haven't worked out or anything but I do eat different foods... I recently made tamales for the family. That could be it? I try different positions also. If I am making milk, why did I pump and nothing came out when before id pump almost 2 oz per session?

To clear any confusion I'm a sahm and my husband got laid off last month so we had to move in with his mom for a little til wse save to move again.. that's how I caught her with a bottle.. she will watch him while I take a nap and ill tell her to give him to me when my lo is hungry. She never does and just says he wasn't hungry... yeah right. Needless to say she can't babysitt him anymore. Idk if the bottles faster flow has anything to do with this

Ugh one more thing.. in my last thread someone posted to resist the urge to give formula... if I tastes bad or whatever do I force him to eat from me? And when should I give formula if he keeps refusing? I know I can't starve him into breast feeding

Mama, based in your previous posts here's what I think you should do:
    1. Nurse the baby as much as possible, experimenting with different locations and positions and using breast massage and brest compressions to try to speed flow to the baby
    2. Record his diaper output very carefully
    3. If diaper output drops below the minimum, supplement with the SNS, using pumped milk if you have it and formula if you don't
    4. Get the hospital-grade pump back- if you are getting engorged after feedings it is possible that you may have given it back too soon
    5. Never let your MIL babysit again- I can't believe what an underhanded, disrespectful thing she did!
    6. Don't be concerned that your milk "tastes bad" because it doesn't. Do the Pepsi challenge and you will discover that your milk tastes much better than formula, which generally tastes pretty nasty. If your baby is upset at the breast, it is almost certainly a flow preference or positioning issue, not a taste issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, based in your previous posts here's what I think you should do:
    1. Nurse the baby as much as possible, experimenting with different locations and positions and using breast massage and brest compressions to try to speed flow to the baby
    2. Record his diaper output very carefully
    3. If diaper output drops below the minimum, supplement with the SNS, using pumped milk if you have it and formula if you don't
    4. Get the hospital-grade pump back- if you are getting engorged after feedings it is possible that you may have given it back too soon
    5. Never let your MIL babysit again- I can't believe what an underhanded, disrespectful thing she did!
    6. Don't be concerned that your milk "tastes bad" because it doesn't. Do the Pepsi challenge and you will discover that your milk tastes much better than formula, which generally tastes pretty nasty. If your baby is upset at the breast, it is almost certainly a flow preference or positioning issue, not a taste issue.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamacampos View Post
    I haven't worked out or anything but I do eat different foods... I recently made tamales for the family. That could be it? I try different positions also. If I am making milk, why did I pump and nothing came out when before id pump almost 2 oz per session?
    Because you are probably not making MORE than the baby needs now. A lot of us if we stopped pumping everyday could no longer make milk.

Way too lazy for formula