Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for research on tongue tie.

Default Looking for research on tongue tie.

So, no more mastitis - Yay! - but still dealing with a very shallow latch and pain for me. At his 4.5 month appointment, he weighed 15 lbs 8.9 oz and the nurse we saw said it was ok to start bananas, so we've given him a few bites here and there for funsies. But more and more (and thanks to this forum) I am beginning to suspect that he is partially tongue tied. But of course my pediatrician says "If you can't see the tip indent, it's not a tongue tie" and won't really check him for it.

Does anybody have good, solid, research on identifying tongue tie that I can give her? I have found some stuff that is interesting, but I am concerned that I will take my info to my pediatrician and she will sort of not take me seriously if the research is not good. Also—does anybody have a good ENT referral in Portland, Oregon, for tongue tie clipping, if it comes to that?

Thanks ladies.

Default Re: Looking for research on tongue tie.

No research here....but an anectdote -- one of my local LLL mamas -- her baby was tongue tied,.. had issues nursing, so she went in to get it clipped. The nurse told her there wasn't barely anything there, not enough to clip. She insisted on having the nurse clip it anyways, just in case. Not surprisingly, that tiny bit made a world of difference. Her LO is now nursing without nipple shield!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Ok, I'm back; found you some research

Frenotomy for infants with tongue tie improves feeding ability and nipple pain
    http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendl...d-nipple-pain/

Newborn Tongue-tie: Prevalence and Effect on Breast-Feeding
    http://www.jabfm.org/content/18/1/1.full

tongue tie and breastfeeding, hogan 2005
    http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendl...eding-success/
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

There is a video making the rounds regarding posterior TT...I'll see if I can find it. BBL
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; December 6th, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My son had a tongue-tie. I knew it the second his little mouth opened to cry. We had lots of issues with latching on (especially after the NICU rammed formula down his throat despite my desperate attempts to get him the pumped colostrum) so I had to use a nipple shield. The day he finally got it clipped he latched on for a full 8 minutes without the shield! Within a week and a half I had completely weaned him off of it and two weeks later I didn't even know where the shield was because he was latching on to me at every feeding. Nursing shouldn't be painful...it should feel special and even good. Definitely insist on treating the tongue-tie. It's a minor procedure with major results! Good luck!

See the first protocol on this page: http://www.bfmed.org/SearchResults.a...8&q=tongue+tie

This ought to have enough physician speak to satisfy the doctor-but if not, maybe it is time to seek a second opinion. Also The new Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010) has the best discussion of tt & its various forms I have ever seen in print or online. It's written for the mother but it certainly is researched and backed by evidence.

I am curious why your doctor is suggesting you start solids at 4.5 months? The AAP currently reccommends exclusive breastfeding (so, no other foods) until 6 months. If you feel your baby is ready & you want to start, that is fine of course. But I suggest you read up on starting solids and the potential affects on milk supply. Neither bananas nor any other foods are going to come near to the nutritional value of breastmilk for a baby.

I don't have any links, I just want to say good luck.

It's amazing and maddening how opinions on tongue tie differ so much from doctor to doctor. Both my babies were born with tongue tie. DS1's was so bad he couldn't latch AT ALL, and I was never able to nurse him even one time, but yet the ENT told me to "just keep nursing" and that he didn't have a tongue tie. DS2 had one not nearly as prominent, and he could latch (just not well), but the ENT we saw said it was really prominent and cut it.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

There is a Lactation consultant out of Vancouver WA who has an office in Portland and will also do home visits if you live in the right area. Her name is Melissa Cole. Her business name is Luna Lactation. Her # is 360.635.3785 She is awesome. Really really awesome. I know several moms who said she saved their breastfeeding relationship. I feel the same way. She diagnosed tongue tie for my DD when other LC couldn't help us. She recommended a ENT who agreed with her diagnosis and was very informative and helpful. I can't remember his name, but when I get a chance I will look through my paperwork and find it for you. Melissa has handouts and information on tongue tie in it's various forms. My Ped said she thought Melissa's notes were very thorough.

After the tongue tie was clipped, Melissa taught us exercises and and "games" to help strengthen and give more flexibility to my dd's tongue. It was more extensive than the ENT's healing recommendations. So I would suggest seeing Melissa first, then the ENT if she recommends it, then Melissa again for follow up.

I also recommend seeing Melissa first in case it isn't tongue tie and something else is going on. That way you know for sure. A good LC is priceless.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks ladies, I really, really appreciate it. I feel honestly like you are the only ones who are listening to me and trying to find solutions for me. This whole breastfeedng thing has been such a pain in the—well, not the ass. But it sucks. It hurts. He chews on me and pulls on me and I dread feedings. I do not feel a "rush of maternal awesomeness" and when he wants to nurse I cringe. It's so painful. And all I get from people is "Have you tried lanolin! Get some lanolin!" which does F-ALL by the way, and "Oh good for you for sticking with it! Have you looked at Kellymom?" Which is lovely but useless. What can I do to make it stop hurting and pinching and having my nipples go white and burn all the time? Arg. Sorry.

To answer the question re: starting solids, it does seem that he is ready for them. He sucked down pureed bananas with my milk like they were going out of style, sits up, etc. I do realize it's early, but I selfishly want something for him to chew on besides my nipples.

Will post more later. He's screaming again.