Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old latch questions

Default 2 week old latch questions

Good morning! My son is now 2 weeks old and we have had a bit of a rough start, but things are going much better! We did have latch issues with cracked/bleeding nipples and severe pain. I am using the compounded nipple ointment that has helped a ton with the cracks and there is no longer any bleeding. His latch is better as well from what I can tell. He has good swallowing while nursing. His birth weight was 8#13oz and at 2 weeks his weight was 8#12oz.

My problem is that the latch is still somewhat painful when he starts and on and off throughout. It is not so much the nipple, but more the areola that hurts (does that make sense)? So, it does make me think that he is getting a good latch (earlier he was just grabbing the nipple). He does slip down a lot throughout the nursing which is not fun, but we reposition and relatch and continue. I do feel like I have OALD (have the spraying sometimes and he gets choked up).

You women are all amazing and give such great advice, I thought I would check with you to see what you think. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: 2 week old latch questions

I had general soreness at the first few weeks, but it did go away. Do you have any bruising or anything still healing from when you had the latch problem? It could be that the breast tissue is still sore/recuperating from your earlier problems.

Assuming you don't have any symptoms of mastitis (hard lumps, hot to touch, etc) -- I might just take a wait and see approach... give it a week or so and see if it resolves on its own.

When I was sore from nursing the first few weeks, I would make sure to apply a liberal coating of ointment to the nipple/areola area... and then I would also "air" them when possible...always seemed to help
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Hmm, has anyone suggested the possibility of thrush?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was thinking that it was hopefully just sore from earlier as you suggested. I've been nervous about switching our position since we finally got what I think is a good latch, but we tried the football hold and it was not nearly as sore. So fingers crossed that is all!

I have thought about thrush (I'm actually paranoid about it). We don't have any of the obvious signs (other than the pain). I'll definitely keep that in mind, though. Activia has become a good friend to help in preventing the thrush, hopefully! Thanks!!

He does slip down a lot throughout the nursing which is not fun, but we reposition and relatch and continue. I do feel like I have OALD (have the spraying sometimes and he gets choked up).
    I know its scary to try a new position when things are finally working, but when you feel comfortable I suggest trying some variation of a laid back position. If the football hold is working, you can hold the baby in what amounts to a football hold but lean yourself back on pillows or a recliner or otherwise well supported. If babies feet have nowhere to go beside your body, put more pillows behind you to push your body out a bit and make space for his feet (I hope that makes sense.) I am suggesting laid back because one thing that can make a baby slip off or slip partly off the nipple during feedings is that gravity is pulling him away from you. Forceful letdown may cause this too. And laid back positioning helps with both.

Laid Back Breastfeeding Video: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

and http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...stfeeding.html This blog has a tiny drawing that shows a mom doing a football hold while laid back.

Sometimes when a mom has painful nipples she (understandably) limits feedings, either in duration or frequency. But this can often exacerbate latch issues. A baby latches most easily to a softer breast, and if you are waiting too long between feedings your breast may be getting full and making it more difficult for baby to latch. Also a baby latches most easily when baby is calm, so if he is already fussy or crying that may make latching more difficult.

Keep on top of this. Nursing should not hurt. Great the nipple creaam is helping (I assume you are using "All Purpose Nipple Ointment?") But no cream will fix a poor latch. If it does not improve to the point of being comfortable to nurse soon, you may want to consider seeking help from an LC if that is at all possible. If you are already under an LC's care, let her know you are still having some issues.