Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weird question

Question weird question

How long does it take for your breasts to re-fill with milk? I read somewhere that you can keep switching back and forth til your baby is full and that your breasts are never fully empty and they're constantly creating milk. is that true?

Also, I'm a relactation case, my son fully eats from me now. Except he doesn't eat every 2 hrs. More like every 4 in the night and every 1-3 in the day.. do I still need to pump the times he's not eating, or will it regulate itself to what my son eats?

Default Re: weird question

Yup! Your breasts are never empty...though they are not always "full" if you know what I mean (firm, leaking ).

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/mi...ction-faq.html

How old is your LO? And how long have you been relactated? For us, my LO nurses when he needs (BF on demand). I don't track the time between nursings anymore, we just go based on (a) when he needs or (b) when my breasts are uncomfortably full. If you are trying to just maintain your supply to what your son needs, maybe just offer the breast the times he's not eating (i.e. if he skips a session and you are having discomfort)?

Or, are you more concerned that he's not nursing for those 4 hours and if you go 4 hours without emptying your breasts that you will decrease your milk supply? During our early months, I would let my LO go up to 3 hrs without nursing (I was worried about keeping up supply) -- so around 4 hours I would offer the breast even if he'd been sleeping. In general, once your milk supply is established, I think it would be ok to nurse based on the times your son needs to do so:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

Ok I clicked the wrong button, I don't think it replied. My lo is 14 weeks this coming Wednesday. I breast fed for 6 weeks, stopped for 2-3 and it took me around 5-6 weeks to ebf. I am more concerned about a decrease in supply, becaue he is having more wet/dirty diapers than when he was formula fed, and he's gaining, so that's great. I do not want my supply to go down though... I worked too hard for this.

If I need to throw in a motn pump/feeding I will, I will do whatever it takes to keep my milk up! I am eating oatmeal with flax every day, drinking lots of water, and I am going to order more milk special blend, and some mothers milk tea soon. Fenugreek didn't work for me. How long until I establish a supply?

I think, just based on what you write there, your supply is fine. I wouldn't mess with it too much, because you risk developing a big oversupply, which comes with its attendant problems. Nurse on demand...that pattern you describe is very typical of a BF baby. For now It will change. Just roll with it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If your baby is gaining weight well and having enough wet and poopy diapers, your supply is established and you don't need to do anything besides feed on demand and monitor diaper output. If the baby seems hungry after eating from both breasts, switch him back and forth and back and forth and back and forth, etc.!

Maybe one thing that's throwing you off is the irregular intervals between feedings? If so, please don't let it worry you. It's totally normal for a breastfed baby to sometimes want to eat very soon after his last feeding, and to sometimes go a really long period without nursing. Again, as long as you nurse on demand and resist the impulse to supplement with formula, you'll both be fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with PPs. Unless you are trying to create a freezer stash for going back to work or something, I personally wouldn't bother throwing in a pumping session . Just nurse when your LO wants -- and if you start feeling engorged, you can always offer it to him

OALD/oversupply stinks -- so if you can keep up what sounds like a good balance of supply/demand, great! As a side note -- there WILL be times when your LO goes through a growth spurt and wants to nurse more than normal. This doesn't mean your supply has decreased ...it just means that your LO wants more milk than the norm -- so nurse more frequently, and your supply will adjust to the increased demand!

Just pay attention to diaper output -- that, combined with weight gain (remember, it slows down as they get out past a few months)...should be all the reassurance you need
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!