Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Sensitivity or Reflux?

Default Milk Sensitivity or Reflux?

Hey all, I have a couple of questions:
    First off, my son is one month old, and I've been nursing him on demand since he was born. He's been an amazing nurser from the very start (which was a relief, since I had a ton of issues breastfeeding my daughter), the only problem is that he's pretty gassy, which can make him pretty upset. Most of the time, if I lay him on his back (or even recline him, so he's not completely on his back) he spits up, which he then chokes on/coughs up. And sometimes, about an hour after feeding, he'll spit up, but it'll be thick and curdled looking. I thought maybe it could be reflux? But I'm not sure. My mom suggested cutting out milk in my diet, and said he might have a milk sensitivity, could that be possible?

My second question is kind of silly, but oh well! Is it normal to have to hold your breast in the baby's mouth if you have larger breasts? I see other nursing mamas and they have at least one hand free, but if I try this, I just fall out of the poor little guy's mouth. Am I spoiling him by holding it there, or is this just the way it's going to have to be?

Default Re: Milk Sensitivity or Reflux?

I had to hold my breast in place for the first few months -- but after a while he was able to hold the breast in place himself. You might try rolling up a washcloth and propping it under your breast to help get the nipple in the right spot

Any chance you have OALD or oversupply? My LO would spit up b/c we had an imbalance of fore/hind milk (due to oversupply/OALD). Once we got that under control... he stopped having the issues.

Not saying it couldn't be reflux or a dietary issue, but just something else to consider.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Spit-up is reflux. Reflux is only a health problem if it causes pain, or the baby is failing to gain sufficient weight. Otherwise it's just a laundry issue. The appearance of spit-up depends on how long the milk spends in the baby's tummy before it comes back out. If it wasn't in for long, the spit-up will look thin and milky. If it was in there for a while, it will appear thicker and curdy or cheesy.

Many babies have a sensitivity to cow's milk proteins that come from mom's diet. Babies with sensitivities to cow's milk protein will often be gassy, reflex, and often produce poops that are greenish, full of mucus, or even streaked or flecked with blood. If you're not seeing greenish, mucusy or bloody poops, I'd say that a cow's milk sensitivity is less likely.

It's totally normal to have to support your breast throughout the feeding, particularly with a young baby. If you'd prefer having 2 hands free, try tucking a rolled-up washcloth under the breast and seeing if that will prop it into the right position.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://www.utterlyyours.com/ fancier than a rolled up towel or if a towel isn't enough
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the info! His poops aren't any of those things, so after some reading up on OALD, I'm leaning more towards that since sometimes he'll pull away and milk will continue to flow, and sometimes he starts coughing/choking when he eats. As for the towel idea, I'll be sure to try it! Having a wild 2-year-old running around the house, it's hard to have both hands occupied at every feeding.

You could also try nursing while babywearing -- that still required one hand to hold the breast -- but the other hand will be free and you can be mobile
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!