Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st tooth! (Positive Stories, Anyone?)

Default Re: 1st tooth! (Positive Stories, Anyone

My DD is also 8MO & just got her 2 bottom teeth. She nipped me once when she only had one of the two cut through. Since then, smooth sailing... but for the occasional pull off w/o unlatching due to distracability. But... that doesn't really hurt b/c when properly latched, she's not using her teeth to eat!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

SIL (who switched to formula after a month - long before any teeth) told me that I would wean once X popped a tooth. He bit a few times during a couple bouts of teething, but I worked with him to learn that biting is not acceptable and with myself to learn when to unlatch or to pull him in close. This worked very well, and biting never became a major issue. He's 12 months now, and hasn't bitten while nursing in months. He has bitten me HARD a couple times on the shoulder (much harder than he ever bit while nursing), so biting can be a problem whether you are nursing or not.

My DD is 9 1/2 mos. old, and has 4.5 teeth. Even with her 2 BIG teeth on the top, she has yet to bite me. Sometimes I feel them (not painful) when her latch gets lazy, but then we readjust. It's usually when she's getting sleepy and I can sometimes just slowly draw my nipple out.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Thanks for the reassurance. I *still* keep getting those "better watch out, he's going to start biting you now" comments when we discuss the teeth LO is cutting. Glad I have you ladies to keep me sane!!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

my 2nd DS & 2nd DD nursed till 3.5+ years old and teeth/biting were never an issue, my 3rd DS who is 10mo and has 6 teeth has bit me a few times and if my let down is fast he will sometime *try* to bite to slow it But I tell him *NO BITING, THAT HURTS MAMMA* and thats seems to have worked so far sometimes he will bite when dream feeding on acciedent but Im pretty aware of the signs now and can usually unlatch him.

jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

I'm glad you are addressing this issue before it even happens! You're an awesome mama.
    Both of my nurslings have teeth... and yes, I've been bit by both. My nipples are still intact and they no longer bite.

Anytime they START to nibble or play around (you don't feel active sucking), just break the latch (by squeezing pinky in the corner of their mouth) Taking away the "reward"/BF will make them associate biting w/ losing their reward.
    BF'ing + pumping (working full time as BFPC) CD'ing , baby wearing , mother of an intact son , co-sleeping , and tandem nursing toddler... Plus I wear deodorant.