Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st tooth! (Positive Stories, Anyone?)

Default 1st tooth! (Positive Stories, Anyone?)

Ok, so my LO is finally cutting his first tooth at 8mos -- and I just want to take precautions to ensure our nursing relationship will continue without any hitches.

I don't know what's up with the moms that I talk to outside of LLL meetings, but most of them always complain about how terrible BF was, particularly once their babies got teeth and started biting, and how I'll reconsider my desire to keep nursing once LO's teeth come in (seriously?). I'm more inclined to brush off their well-intentioned "advice" as it comes from the same moms who think 6mos is a LONG time to BF. I would love to hear some (positive) stories about how other mamas have kept nursing... and how to handle any issues that could pop up as relates to teething/biting.

(I know I'm just being nervous about something that will likely go smoothly, but would love words of encouragement... thanks!!!!)

Default Re: 1st tooth! (Positive Stories, Anyone

It should be fine, mama! I'm nursing a 19 month old with a mouth full of sharp white teeth, and she only bit me a few times in the very beginning when she started getting teeth and didn't yet understand how to handle them. And my first daughter never bit!

Most babies bite rarely or not at all. When a baby is properly latched, she can't bite, because she'd bite her own tongue. But if you have a baby who bites, there are strategies that can help you deal with it- you learn to identify when the baby is transitioning from active feeding to playing around, and take her off the breast before you get bitten, or you use some gentle conditioning techniques where you remove the baby from the breast immediately after a bite and put her down, which teaches her that biting ends the feeding and is therefore not something she wants to do.

I agree that most of the moms who talk about how awful biting is are often the same ones who don't really enjoy breastfeeding and are very ready to be done by the time their kids get teeth. For those moms, a single nip can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. But if you enjoy nursing, you're probably the sort of person who doesn't think the risk of an occasional bite is too high a price to pay for continuing to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My DD didn't have any teeth till a week before her first birthday and she only bit me once and i think my reaction shocked/scared her that she never did again. We also had a couple "scrapings" where she would forget to unlatch before turning her head which were a bit unpleasent but I just reminded her to be nice/gentle with mommy and those were far and few between. After the scrapings i would tell her that hurts mommy and have her come off and not allowed back on for a bit. She did not like that at all, she's a very sensitive gal and learned quickly. Maybe cause she was so much older and could understand a lot before she got teeth that it didn't affect our BF realtionship. Even at a year she nursed A LOT and she continued to nurse eventually with a full set of teeth till 25 months the teeth were definitely not even a consideration into us weaning.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

My LO is 6 months and boasts 8 teeth already! (My daughter had teeth early too - and we nursed beyond a year.)

He VERY RARELY gets me with a tooth - when it happens, it is most definitely an accident.

Has he ever bitten me? Yes. Did it hurt? Yes. Do I want to quit BF because of it? NO!! As PPs have said, if they are latched correctly, it's impossible to bite. You've already come so far - baby knows how to nurse.

Good luck, and don't give up! You can take him away from the breast if he bites, and he'll figure it out.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

I don't remember the first two ever biting me. Did they bite me? Probably. Not enough however to get me to stop or for me to remember it. My current LO has two on top and he tends to give me a little nip when he is latching, but then he is fine.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

My son was working on teeth for a while and it was very noticable something was brewing under his gum. Sure enough at his 5month birthday he sprouted his first tooth and just today his second one broke through. Although he hasn't had them long he has done wonderfully with them. I, too, have heard people make remarks about how things were going to go sour when teeth came in or how I will want to quit before he "bit off nipple" But so far so good. When he is really hungry and upset he clamps for a second right at the start but I just firmly say "NO bitting mommy" and he stops and goes about his business. I really hope it stays this simple and he continues to be kind to my lady parts

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

some people seem to latch on to the tooth/biting thing to deal with their discomfort/ignorance about nursing. like nursing is weird if your LO has teeth, or has she bit you? or aren't you afraid of her biting you? and etc etc. i have one friend in particular that always brings this up no matter what i say.

My LO has bit me a few times, usually out of boredom at the end of nursing sessions until i told her no and that was the end of that. she also does that clamping on sometimes that a pp mentioned at the start. and i tell her to "be nice" and she lets go. I think its something that you deal with for a very short time in the whole nursing spectrum, so I didn't let it get me down and now we have no problems and she's got 12 teeth!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I don't remember my first kids's first tooth, other than it came in while we were on vacation and I noticed it when he grinned at me in the plane ride home. He never hurt my breast, but he bit me everywhere else! So teeth do not have to wreck a good relationship, and rubbing means you need to work on your latch. Biting is usually boredom.

The only time teeth might be a problem is like what I'm working on now...teaching a much older baby to nurse from scratch. Not going well The teeth just might beat me.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think that dealing with nursing / biting was the best thing my LO and I could do. He bit a few times out of curiosity but that's part of learning boundaries and how to treat each other. I flicked his ear a few times (sneakily) when he'd bite, but he started to get paranoid...lol..Just a little distraction more than anything. So I'd just say NO biting, after that. He would always cry, soo sad that what he did interrupted his peaceful session. Once he bit really hard, and I was like OMFG OW! and he cried and went on a nursing strike for a few days. But the moral of this whole story is that he learned that this is a partnership, and how to work as part of a team, and how to treat someone gently, and that's the best thing he's learned so far! He's still nursing at 15 mos.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

My dd nursed for 39 months and we never had a biting problem. She may have bit once or twice by accident.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby