Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lump on right side

Default Lump on right side

Last night, DD (12 weeks) slept a 6 hr stretch for the first time(she usually gets up every 3 or 4 hours to nurse) and takes only 1 side per feed. I've never had any supply issues (touch wood) and her latch is good. Well this morning I fed her left breast. my right breast felt hard so I hand expressed a bit. She also fed that side a couple hrs later but I feel a hard lump on a side of that breast. Any advice?

Default Re: Lump on right side

Sounds like a clogged duct, mama! You want to address those right away, so that you don't get mastitis. My favorite thing to do is get in a hot bath and massage that spot until it breaks up a bit. It should hurt a little, sorry to say. Then immediately, fresh out of the shower, nurse on that side, continuing to massage the spot while you nurse. Keep nursing and massaging on that side until the lump is gone. Some women like to put a hot wet compress on the breast while nursing, too. I would sleep with my baby and nurse more on the affected side than other side (not so much that you get engorged and get a clog on the other side too, of course!) for a night. That, plus hot baths and massaging, almost always cleared it up for me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thanks for your quick reply! Will start that off right away. Also would it help to pump that side? I have a medela pump, I've never used it so far

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sk2011 View Post
    thanks for your quick reply! Will start that off right away. Also would it help to pump that side? I have a medela pump, I've never used it so far
    If your baby refuses to nurse that side for any reason, yes. But if you can get your baby to nurse, that is preferable to pumping, which in my experience, doesn't empty the breast or break up clogs as well.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Did as you said - I took a warm shower and nursed right after, then followed with a warm compress and massages a couple times and its gone :-) thanks so much! Wondering if I should wake baby up at night to feed if she sleeps long stretches again. Her weight gain is great and it would be nice to get some sleep but engorgement isn't fun :-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sk2011 View Post
    Did as you said - I took a warm shower and nursed right after, then followed with a warm compress and massages a couple times and its gone :-) thanks so much! Wondering if I should wake baby up at night to feed if she sleeps long stretches again. Her weight gain is great and it would be nice to get some sleep but engorgement isn't fun :-)
    If you're feeling tender on that breast, I'd "dream feed" her if you can. You can usually slip a nipple in and nurse without fully waking baby up.

Glad it's better!!

You can call me JoMo!