Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 1/2 months old allergic to breastmilk

Question 13 1/2 months old allergic to breastmilk

three days ago, my 13 1/2 months old baby has developed some white raised rash on his torso. the next day, it became red and spread all over his body including his face. we went to the doctor and she said that my baby has is allergic to my breast milk (I've been breastfeeding him since birth) since i ate plenty of shrimp. is this possible? i've been giving him antihistamine oral solution for 2 days now (the doctor prescribed). today i just notice that his eyes are swollen, red and teary. i really don't know what to do pls help.
    __________________________________________________ __________

breastfeeding my little bokokoy since 10-10-10

Default Re: 13 1/2 months old allergic to breast

That's intesting! I suppose a shellfish allergy is a possibility in this case, but I wouldn't accept an off-the-cuff diagnosis like the one you were given without a lot of additional testing. I mean, what if it's not the shrimp, but rather some other food that you ate? Or what if it's not an reaction to someone you ate, but to something else in the environment? It could be a new detergent, it could be dust mites, it could be a virus, really it could be anything and you don't know unless you see an allergist.

That being said, I assume that you've cut all shellfish out of your diet for now? I would expect that after 3 days most of the troublesome proteins would have left your milk, and continuing to nurse would not be a problem, provided you weren't continuing to consume them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 15 month old recently developed a similar rash. We thought it was something she ate, but we finally figured out it was from a new dress I put on her that I did not wash first. Prior to this I've never put new clothes on her without running them through the laundry first.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

It could even be stuff in the air. I would highly doubt it's your milk though. DD1 had this happen a few times, usually in the fall and only for a few days. Dr, thought it was probably something in the air in the fall causing it. We just give her benadryl and usually in a few days it's over.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~