Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you & BF moms unite! :)

Default Thank you & BF moms unite! :)

I just want to say thank you for this forum. I had an interesting experience today, and if it weren't for this forum and group of BFing moms, I think I would have "caved."

I went to the doctor today for my horrible sore throat. Ends up I have bacterial pharyngitis. The nurse tells me that if they give me an antibiotic, I'll have to pump and dump and give my 6 month old formula until I'm done with the 10 day sequence.

I balked at this. She seemed unfazed.

Then, in walks the doctor who basically tells me that I either pump and dump or take the chances that I will hurt my baby with the antibiotic. I told him there HAD to be some other way. He suggested that since LO is 6 months, couldn't he just have solids?

Ummm. . . no! I said, "He HAS to have breastmilk or formula as his primary food intake!" (Did this guy go to med school?)

Sure, LO has had SOME solids, but he's not consistent.

So, I told the DR that I would just walk over to my pediatrician (we live in a small town) and ask HER. I guess I offended him because he chose to walk over there himself.

Lo and behold, pediatrician says it's fine. Baby will get some, but it might actually help HIM fight off any possible illness that he would get from me.

All of that to say that here on the forum, we may disagree about the little things here and there, but I am SO appreciative to know that when it comes down to it, there is a group of women out there who agree with me: breast is best. And I get that some people supplement with formula because they need to - and some people simply use formula. Everyone's different. I just couldn't believe that my DR seemed to be 100% clueless and borderline unsupportive.

End rant.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Thank you & BF moms unite! :)

Woah cool story Glad it turns out you still can bf! What did the dr do after that? I'm surprised he bothered to walk there himself
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Good for you! I too have become so much more confident in my BF'ing relationship largely in part to this forum.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Good job, mama!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firstbaby2011 View Post
    I too have become so much more confident in my BF'ing relationship largely in part to this forum.
    Awesome!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

WTG mama! Hope you feel better soon.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I don't know about you, but for me it took being a mother to not only need female support but crave it. And this forum is the pinnacle of that for me. There are more strong, educated and supportive women on this site than I could even imagine having in my real life. We got your back. Feel better!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Very nice! This is one reason I always do so much research and trust my instincts and not always the doctor! What a silly doctor! Breast is so the best! Don't ya love what we can do for our babies! Yay mama!

Lactivists UNITE!

I too appreciate and gain knowledge and confidence from this site each time I visit!
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Way to Go! don't know that I would have been able to do that!

I too love this forum!
    married since 2007 to the man of my dreams!

had a water birth at home to my darling little girl born 2-18-11

working full time &

Cloth diapering

Good for you. My DR has told me to pump & dump on antibiotics before, after the appt I called my pediatrician who told me it was fine so I listened to him. Next time my DR said that I just nodded and left the visit knowing I would continue to nurse.

Knowledge is power! and empowering
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months