Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with pump when done w/ BF

Default What to do with pump when done w/ BF

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do w/ my breastpump once I'm done breastfeeding my children? Do I really just have to throw it away?

Default Re: What to do with pump when done w/ BF

What kind of pump is it?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

NO.You can give it to a family member or friend.

Way too lazy for formula

It's a Medela double electric pump

Like a Pump in Style or something? If it's a really good pump, and in good shape, you might want to consider donating it to a family member or friend, as the PP suggested. Just make sure she knows everything about how heavily it was used, and suggest that she get it reconditioned, get new tubes and collectors, and also that she use it as a back-up pump rather than as her primary pump, if she plans to pump frequently. Pumps do wear down over time! If it's a lighter weight pump like a Swing, you can still donate it, but you want to be even more emphatic that it's a back-up pump and not a primary pump.

Obviously, your health status must be disclosed. If you have HIV or Hep C, you don't want to pass along a pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

WSS. Right. If you have Hep or HIV throw it away. But if you are friends with someone and they KNOW you don't....why not pass it along?

Way too lazy for formula

It actually is a BAD idea to pass along pumps because they can fill with mold. INSIDE the pump where you can't see it. There is a link I posted here somewhere with photos. Gross.

And they are really only good for about 400 hours anyway.

I called Medela and complained about this actually. Because it makes me mad that their pumps are single user and you have to toss them. They won't recondition them. Changing the tubes and membranes doesn't fix the issues with the motor.

There are some pumps that are closed systems and therefore will not get mold in them, but you still have the motor issue to think about. A used pump cannot be someone's primary pump (says the woman who has worn out 2 pumps in the last 10 months!)
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I pumped with an Ameda Purely yours. It was with a mother who has 3 kids before me and I have since loaned it to two friends. It may BREAK at some point...but I dunno. I think a lot of mothers who aren't doing it exclusively may pump way less than 400hrs in a kid. That pump may BREAK eventually.....but it hasn't. And it was my primary pump and the primary pump of the people I lent it to.

Way too lazy for formula

It is a closed system pump.

Way too lazy for formula

I used a hand-me-down pump, contrary to advice (do as I say, not as I do!) and found that it really started to poop out after six months or so. It had already been used for two children before I got it. Next time, I'll buy a new pump for sure. I think they have a limited lifespan, like Susan said, in addition to the mold concerns.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.