Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Breastfeeding issues

Question Help! Breastfeeding issues

My 3.5 week old latches for a minute then cries and pushes my breast away... She takes a dr browns bottle with similac sensitive with no issue... Is it something I'm eating? Maybe eggs? I feel lost...,I really want to breast feed and have a good milk supply.today her stool was yellow with stringy peices in it.... She has no known health issues at this point... I have been giving her gripe water and little tummy gas drops occasionally because she arches her back turns red and cries often before a bowel movement... She produces many wet diapers and stools so I don't foresee dehydration or constipation... I'm a nurse and not knowing what's wrong is very upsetting...My next dr appt is 12/8... She has been gaining weight and appears to be filling out...

Default Re: Help! Breastfeeding issues

Welcome! Babies fuss at the breast for many reasons, and it is usually completely unrelated to what you're eating. If something in your diet troubles your baby, it's not likely to bother her when she's at the breast. It's probably going to bother her as she digests it, giving her gas or reflux. If something in your diet troubles your baby, eggs wouldn't be my first concern: I'd worry more about cow's milk, since an allergy to cow's milk protein is fairly common.

So if it's not your diet, what's going on? Here is a list of possibilities:
    1. Baby prefers the bottle. It's generally not recommended to introduce a bottle before 4-6 weeks, because babies rapidly discover that eating from a bottle is a lot less challenging than eating from the breast. Your baby may be getting upset because she wants that nice easy bottle, instead of having to work to nurse.
    2. Baby is troubled by a rapid milk flow. If you notice milk squirting or streaming from the breast when baby pulls off, this could be the culprit, in which case there are things you can do to manage the flow that will make it easier for your baby to nurse.
    3. Baby is troubled by a slow milk flow. If she wants her meal NOW and it's taking several minutes to generate a milk letdown, pulling off could be your baby's way of protesting.
    4. Baby's tummy is bothering her- newborns often find their digestive process quite upsetting, which makes sense because until they were born they never had to eat, have gas, or poop! It's a brand new experience and not necessarily one a baby is ready to be complacent about.
    5. Reflux. Some babies are troubled by stomach acid coming back up and burning their esophagus.
    6. Quirk. Some babies are just quirky nursers and pick up odd little habits that don't mean anything except a headache for their mamas.

Is there a reason you're giving formula at this point? If you want to combination feed that's one thing, but if your goal is to breastfeed exclusively we'd love to help you do that!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes this could be any number of things- or nothing. But we need more info in order to help.

No one knows how to nurse a baby before they nurse a baby, trust me. Where I live there are tons of hospitals and I have lots of nurses call me or come to meetings. One friend who is an OB was so embarrased about calling me for breastfeeding help at first she pretended she was calling for a patient. LOL! We have been conditioned by society to expect specific types of infant behavior, and when our baby has other plans, it can be quite confusing!

I'm giving formula to supplement because she is not eating well from the breast and I am not sleeping and am very stressed while still recovering from a c section. She wants to eat every 15 minutes tO an hour sometimes and my body is exhausted. My gusband work 5 days a week for up to 10 hours and I am up all night and day sometimes..he helPs as much as he can but he has tO sleep for work...I feel lost and exhausted and if breastfeeding means that my health deteriorates then it's not good for me or her... I'm trying but I don't know what to do..

Babies will fuss at the breast when they know there is an eaisier way to get milk....aka a bottle. Don't do it!

Instead, go to bed and nurse laying down, so you can rest.

Sorry, kids going nuts or I would write more.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Would you like to ditch the formula? Because you can. I totally understand that breastfeeding a newborn is stressful and that when you're recovering from a c-section the stress is much greater than when a mom has an easier birth. But the stress, pain, and sleeplessness are temporary, and in the long run breastfeeding is better for your health and your baby's health. If you can get through this tough period, things are going to get a lot easier!

Here are some links that might be useful:
    - on ditching formula: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    - on reverse cycling: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I totally agree that this sounds more like nipple confusion (preference for the bottle) than a dietary issue. Check out those links that Mommal posted above! Believe me, it is HARD to nurse a 3.5 week old baby. We have been there. They do fuss at the breast, and they want to nurse ALL THE TIME, and they don't really "give back" much at that age. But we, who have been there, also know that it's worth it to push through those early, hard days, do what you have to to avoid supplementing, etc., because it gets SO MUCH EASIER. And NICER. And more convenient! I had such a hard start with Joe, but it was truly worth it. I would do it all again (but this time I would avoid the mistakes I made the first time). If you can, put away the bottle and take your baby to bed and nurse and snooze all day (or as long as you can).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Congrats on your new arrival! I don't know what # this is for you but as a new (10 wks wed!) first time mom 3 weeks was endlessly tiring but awesome as well. You're both still learning how to breast feed & it does take time. & recovering from a c-section doesn't help! My son & I didn't get into a good rhythm until he was 5-6 weeks & especially with the bottle being introduced as I was going back to work. I agree whole heartedly with the other posts, nurse in bed! We were always up in the rocking chair all hours of the night until I accidentally fell asleep while he was feeding in bed. From then on we only left bed when I had to pee! I understand your husband has to sleep for work but taking care of a newborn is work, too! Just because you don't leave the house doesn't mean you're not working! House stuff can wait, YOU need sleep, too! When he gets home ask him to take the LO for a few minutes so you can get a shower or bath (much more relaxing) even if its just 10 or 15 to gather your thoughts. You've made it 3.5 weeks - that's something to celebrate! Take baby to bed!

http://www.llli.org/faq/cosleep.html

Oh gosh it can be so hard. I know, I had c-sections with both kids. But caring for a newborn is hard, and recovering from abdominal surgery is hard. The two together are doubly hard. It's not necessarily the breastfeeding that is making it any MORE hard. It's all just hard. That is why new moms need lots of support and, if at all possible, hands on help in the early weeks.

Are there any family members or friends who can help out, with anything, while you try to figure out this bump in the road? Sometimes there is help out there if moms ask. Also, if there is anything else on your plate right now, can you postpone it or just let it go? Things may turn around in just a few weeks.

I thnk this is a helpful article for figuring out what is normal and what is possibly not in the early weeks. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

And this one has suggestions for encouraging a reluctant nurser, including a baby with nipple confusion: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

...I feel lost and exhausted and if breastfeeding means that my health deteriorates then it's not good for me or her... I'm trying but I don't know what to do.
    You are correct, of course. I don't think anyone here is going to suggest you put your own health in jeopardy in order to breastfeed. But we have all been there and know the early weeks can be very hard but that soon, sometime between 2 & 8 weeks usually, it all just starts getting much much easier, and breastfeeding becomes a joy. Basically, we have found the benefits have far outweighed the difficulties-and some moms here have had unbelievable difficulties.

If you stop nursing altogether, and do not pump, your milk supply will be affected, possibly permanently. Your baby will continue to get used to bottles and may start refusing to nurse at all. I have talked to many moms who are trying to rebuild supply and/or get baby back to the breast after not nursing for a time. And it is hard. Very very hard, and sometimes impossible. I am not saying there is never turning back, but its hard and there are no guarantees. So if you are ready to stop nursing, I only suggest you be sure that is what you want and not something you are turning to in desperation, a decision you would not have made if you had more support, more help, even just a bit more sleep. Sometimes all a mom needs is one time shot of 4-6 hours of uninterrupted sleep to see things in a new light. Maybe your husband and you can figure out a way for you to get that. Yes, he is working, but so are you, in case you have not noticed, caring for a newborn is a ton of work! You need what sleep you can get just as much as he does. (And it won;t be much, for either of you. That is life with a newborn. It gets better.

Trust your instincts. You will know when you are well and truly done. You have to do what is best for you, your baby, and your family, and you are the best judge of what that is.

C/S recovery is tough. BTDT. The best thing in the world for me was discovering new ways to nurse. Nursing while lying down in bed allowed me to save my sanity. But having to get out of bed caused a lot of pain. In retrospect, instead of trying to climb in and out of bed -- I would have my DH set up a changing table (or pack and play) at the edge of the bed, so I could nurse LO in bed, change diapers without leaving bed, etc. That would've made life easier by far. When you nurse lying down -- make sure to support your back, neck, and legs with plenty of pillows. It will relieve the tension and stress.

Our bedroom is on the 2nd level of our house ....and while we didn't obey the no stairs rule -- I did make a point to only go up/down one time each day. So -- I had a tote bag with water, snacks, burp cloths, cell phone, etc in it that I carried around wherever I went. Then I could stop wherever and not have to move around as much.

I will admit that I also nursed and napped in our big lazyboy recliner. It was easier to get in and out of post C/S. I would have my LO on the boppy pillow, his head in the crook of one arm, and my other arm between his legs. I was able to nap/doze, but any movement on his part brought me right awake. And since it was a bigger chair -- I had arm support and no worries of dropping him off the sides. Being able to prop up my legs was also helpful.

See if your DH (or someone) can give you a brief respite. Even if it's just coming over to make you food, or being willing to watch the baby for an hour while you nap (without having to keep an ear listening for the LO). That does wonders.

And warm showers felt so good. It was a pain to get there -- but letting the water run relaxed my muscle tension. I had a lot of tension in my stomach muscles post-op. OOh! And I remember, I was constantly microwaving one of those beanbag warmers and laying it on my abdomen. Felt sooo good, relaxed muscle tension and helped me be able to doze off and not focus on the C/S scar/muscle pain.

You can do it. I know it seems like a ton of work. But once you are past the C/S recovery, you will have more clarity. Ask for help...whether it is your DH, your MIL, your mom, or a friend. I was reluctant to do so, but if you can have someone come over and give you a brief respite (even if it's just to bring you food and hold the baby!)...you will be grateful and your body will thank you for giving it a break.

s