Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 mo old throwing up breast milk?

Default 14 mo old throwing up breast milk?

Hi ladies --

We are grasping at far-fetched ideas here. My DD breastfeeds happily, usually a lot in the morning and before naps/bedtime, but is less interested during the day. (We are happily and gradually weaning, at her pace, although I am mostly pump-weaned -yay!)

She's been drinking whole, cow's milk (organic) for two months, sometimes cut with breastmilk, but not much anymore since the pumping is rare. Her system hasn't had any problem transitioning.

But a few days ago, she woke up by throwing up. I thought it was just a random incident, maybe teeth, maybe snot draining into her belly (she's had a runny nose), but it happened again after she had some cow milk split with pumped breastmilk (pumped the day before, refrigerated and then frozen). In between throwing up, she's her happy little self, no fever, not fussy.

Yesterday I was gone for 27 hours, and she only had cow's milk --no throwing up. I got home today, she nursed hungrily and about an hour later, threw everything up. She wanted to continue nursing right away, although I tried to limit her intake.

Anyone heard of this happening? Is it just a coincidence? Nothing in my diet has really changed, nor has the storage of the milk been an issue.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Momma to baby girl
    Born at 41 weeks on 9/23/2010
    7 lbs/5 oz/19 in
    exclusively until BLS -- still nursing at 14 mo
    Suffered through colic together until saved by probiotics and dairy-free existence!
    for 13 mo

Default Re: 14 mo old throwing up breast milk?

My own guess would be it has nothing to do with your milk. I know many people are getting tummy bugs right now and throwing up, even if it's a day or so in between could just be a virus. I wouldn't draw a conclusion about your milk just yet especially since she's had a runny nose.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Coincidence. We had some germ here that made my kids vomit every other day or two. Horrible.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Joe has woken up vomiting a few times in his life. Sometimes the vomiting would continue, sometimes it was a one time thing. I would assume virus.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'd bet money it's tummy bug. I wouldn't try to limit nursing- one great thing about breastmilk is that even if it only spends a brief time in your LO's tummy, she still absorbs nutrition and fluid from it. It's way better than Pedialyte for a baby who's throwing up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A couple of times my son has had bouts of vomiting for no apparent reason and no fever. I suspect it's some type of bug but who knows..

Same here. I've had my daughter throw up breast milk when it turned out she had a bug. I'm glad I was able to keep nursing her, because I think it kept it from getting more serious. Once I had the doctor tell me not to nurse her because I was letting down too much milk, and the doctor didn't want her to have more than an ounce at a time to see if it would keep her from throwing up. The doctor wanted me to give her Pedialyte instead. I actually did feel my daughter was having too much in terms of ounces. But I wasn't about to give her Pedialyte over breastmilk - especially when my daughter *wanted* to nurse because it made her feel comforted. So anyway, I pumped a bit to take away some of the volume and would nurse right after that. And, oh yeah, I fired the doctor.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thank you all! I thought it was a coincidence but DH made me ask. Anyway, she still wants to nurse, and keeps it down most times, so I'm in agreement with all of you -- why refuse her or force some manufactured stuff? Yet again, LLL comes through.
    Momma to baby girl
    7 lbs/5 oz/19 in
    Suffered through colic together until saved by probiotics and dairy-free existence!
    for 13 mo

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'd bet money it's tummy bug. I wouldn't try to limit nursing- one great thing about breastmilk is that even if it only spends a brief time in your LO's tummy, she still absorbs nutrition and fluid from it. It's way better than Pedialyte for a baby who's throwing up.
    I love the pedilyte v breastmilk comparison at the end of this article. http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html

Around age two or so, my youngest loved to nurse in the morning & frequently threw up the breastmilk. But he nursed other times of the day and did not throw up. But even if we did not nurse, he would get 'gaggy' and sometimes just throw up anyway, there just wasn't much to throw up. (And it was worse if he was snotty from allergies or a cold.) Basically he would gag and throw up in the morning no matter what. This went on for months and my husband kept wanting to blame the breastmilk but I think he knew better than to press it! I hoped he just had a sensitive gag reflex and would grow out of it, which he did.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 5th, 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: I'm a dope

Well, that is interesting, Meg! She has been very snotty, now it has moved to her chest -- I'd probably want to throw up phlegm too. And there are molars coming through. I'll hope she gets over it soon, and I'll show DH all these posts to confirm that her body hasn't decided to reject breastmilk over night.
    Momma to baby girl
    7 lbs/5 oz/19 in
    for 13 mo