Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just started back

Default Just started back

I just started back to work this past Thursday and after reading a bit in WAoB, Kellymom.com and Work & Pump....I am totally confused as to how much to put in each bottle for a feeding? My son is 3 1/2 months, about 15lbs, and eats around 7 times a day. I pumped at work each day 15 oz at 9:00 and 12:30ish. I have read so many different amounts to give that I am so confused. Right now I leave him with 3 bottles filled about 4 1/2 oz each and also leave some frozen just in case. I feed him right before he is dropped off at 7:15 and I pick him up at 4:30. I told her that if he is hungry around the time (or before) I pick him up to give him less because I want to feed him when we get home.

Can anyone help me out with an amount? She said that he finishes the bottles easily. Am I giving him too much? I know that BF babies don't increase much more in amount.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Just started back

He may just finish the bottle easily because it's easy for babies to get milk from a bottle vs. from the breast. You should use newborn/slow flow. In fact, my daughter used those until she was one.

The rule of thumb is that a baby needs 1 - 1.5 oz for every hour you are away. So you are leaving the correct amount but on the high end.

A 4.5 oz bottle is pretty large. I would probably go down a bit. In fact, my daughter never got a bottle over 3 oz.

When she was your son's age I used to leave 5 bottles with smaller amounts - 2 to 2.5 oz. She had 3 bottles by the time she was a year. But the amount of total milk never changed. I used to pump 10 - 11 oz a day - and that's what I'd send.

I used to pump three times a day when I was gone for as long as you are. Is it possible to squeeze in another session?

This may help: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

No, I have no more planning times or breaks.

so you think more bottles and fewer ounces? I do the slow flow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blubell7877 View Post
    so you think more bottles and fewer ounces? I do the slow flow.
    Yes.

I think I finally gave her four bottles when she was maybe 6 months. Then around 9 months she was at three bottles plus some solids.

If that's all you can do, that's all you can do. You are getting plenty of milk right now. Just keep an eye on things. I'm sure you'll be fine. Lots of mamas can get plenty in 2 sessions. I just never could. :/

WTG for pumping. I know what a commitment it can be. I pumped at work 5 days a week, 3X a day from 12 weeks to one year. You are doing the very best for your baby by pumping while you area away. Let us know if we can help you otherwise. It sounds like things are on track though!

Christine

I just started Thursday. I have 2 weeks until Winter break, then it would be another 5-6 weeks until he is 6 months. I will put 4 oz in. not 4 1/2.

I just started Thursday. I have 2 weeks until Winter break, then it would be another 5-6 weeks until he is 6 months. I will put 4 oz in. not 4 1/2.
    Is your daycare provider unwilling to feed more than three bottles a day? Why not take them back to 3 ounces but send more bottles and see how he does? You can send the same amount of milk - just over smaller bottles. That was the approach I took. It worked for me. I'm sure other things work for other babies and mamas. 4 oz is a lot though.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; December 4th, 2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: clarify

Christine

She is willing to do whatever is best. I can try 3oz. I think she more used to formula and I am new at bottles.

She is willing to do whatever is best. I can try 3oz. I think she more used to formula and I am new at bottles.
    It seems like DCP are more used to formula. Mine was for sure! Sometimes you have to educate them. This is a good handout! It even has a PDF you can print out for your DCP. You could just say, "Oh, I was reading about how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. I thought you might find it interesting, as well." http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

ETA: I never knew much about bottles either. I never even gave my daughter a single bottle. Kind of interesting when you compare it to the rest of our culture.

Keep on, keeping on. You are doing GREAT!

Christine

Thanks! I did tell her to use what was left over for the next feeding and she said there was none. I wanted to make sure she wasn't pouring anything out! That would be a bummer.

Thanks for talking it out with me!