Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weightloss Question....

Default Weightloss Question....

Hello ladies, I have a question about losing weight while breastfeeding. My LO is almost 7 months and we are going strong breastfeeding--I am also a SAHM. I have managed to put on 15 lbs since I had my baby which puts me at a very unhealthy 224. I would really like to lose weight, however, I do not know if cutting calories and exercising will compromise my milk supply. I know that there must be a way to do this, but I don't even know how many calories I need to consume a day to lose weight while breastfeeding, and still remain in the healthy milk producing range. I do not need a miracle, I just want to know how I can do this in a slow healthy way and how many calories I need to be eating, and if it's okay to do vigorous exercise like treadmill jogging (just about anything would be vigorous to me now ).

Default Re: Weightloss Question....

Hello!

I've put on weight too! I dropped immediately to my pre-preg weight after DD was born, and now I have gained about 7 lbs. I also need to work on loosing weight, but for me it is a motivation issue!

What I understand is that as long as you are getting enough nutrition and water, your breast milk production and health will not be effected. Notice I said nutrition and not calories. Also, it is my understanding that exercise is fine as long as your doctor says it is okay to exercise in general. Just find something you like and go for it!

Hope this helps.

Now....if only I could follow my own advice! LOL

You are totally safe cutting calories, and doing vigorous exercise. But do make sure that you're eating enough and getting the nutrients you need. And remember to drink LOTS of water! A good rule of thumb for weight loss is just to eat as pure and unprocessed as possible. Lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, etc..

I know you can do it, mama!
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

You can exercise, you can focus on healthy foods, you can write down what you eat (research studies have shown that people eat 20% less when logging what they eat, whether that's on a free online program like fitday.com or just using a piece of paper on the table). I have marathon and ultramarathon trained and raced while pregnant, it didn't affect my milk supply one bit.

Do you think you're eating for emotional reasons or just eating wrong foods or do you have any ideas of anything you can cut out? Don't do anything super low or starvation or fad diet but it doesn't sound like you want to do anything like that anyway, which is really good.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I am breastfeeding my 7month old girls and losing weight. I don't believe in diets, and by cutting out some 'easy' indulgences I have lost 5-7lbs so far:
    daily nighttime bowl of ice cream - have 2 scoops once a week now
    weekday escalator - I now climb an extra 5-7 flights of stairs of day (on my commute)
    weekday eggos/toast for breakfast - I eat a yogurt at 6am and oatmeal at 9am when I get to work, eggos for weekends only
    daily wine - used to have 2 glasses at night after all the kids went to bed, now down to 1/2 to 1 glass

Do you have any 'quick hits' that you can cut out and still be full, happy and not consider a diet (with a chance of failure)?

I have been wondering lately, what happens when i stop nursing? Do I need to cut back my calories in order to maintain my weight, will I gain weight if I keep the same caloric intake?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

you'll burn fewer calories when your baby weans but depending upon how old she is, she might not be nursing that much by the end anyway, or really not on how old but just how gradually she weans. Your appetite should adjust accordingly so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    I have been wondering lately, what happens when i stop nursing? Do I need to cut back my calories in order to maintain my weight, will I gain weight if I keep the same caloric intake?
    For me, this is exactly what happened. Since *nearly* weaning in July (he's still nursing once a day but only for a minute or so) I've gained about 15lbs. And I haven't changed my diet at all since then. I don't think I'm eating too much, just top many of the wrong things. I have a major sweet tooth.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Thank you all so much for your replies. I think the biggest issue is lack of exercise, I love to be on my treadmill and listen to music and go, but my DD's naps are so short 20-45minutes, plus the treadmill is in the bedroom where she sleeps, I just stopped trying--not to mention when she naps, I just want to eat lunch and relax sometimes or even get something else done around the house. I find that I am either moving in one direction or the other, never standing still, so I am either exercising and eating well, or I am not and gaining weight. Don't know if any or you all are familiar with Dr. Fuhrman, he is an all natural Dr. that promotes a lifestyle of very healthy simple foods (he is not fad diet person at all). My husband is getting ready to start a water fast, and since I can't fast with him this time, for my part, I am going to cut out all sweets (not including healthy natural sweets such as dried fruits) and junk foods, so hopefully that will help to reset my palate a little and mold it back towards fruits veggies, beans, whole grains etc. because I have been outta control with sweets, chips and junk foods. I really need to figure out something for exercise though. I know I can walk with a stroller outside, but I am a little self conscious about trying jog by big butt clumsily around the block with a stroller. I do have some Dvd’s I guess I could pull out. You know believe or not, I was in crossfit before my pregnancy!! I was still quite heavy, but was doing really well :-). I can’t join right now because I just don’t feel like I can be on a schedule like that yet while my daughter is still nursing, and I plan to nurse her exclusively for one year, plus I don't have her on a tight schedule so I think someone trying to watch her would have a hard time. Anyway sorry this is long, I am just thinking while I type :-)

You can do it, and seriously quit worrying about what other people think. If I see someone outside walking or exercising I think "oh that's nice they're able to get outside" or something, I never think "oh that person is too heavy to be running" or anything like that.

If you know a food is your weakness don't bake it or buy it or allow it in the house. It's not worth it.

I see people of all shapes, sizes and ages walking/jogging/running down my street. I don't think about their weight or how silly they look, I think 'good for them, they are doing something good for their body'. You can do it.

As PP said-not having temptation in the house is a great tool. I realized today I did not bake any sweets for Thanksgiving and that helped tremendously (and no leftovers because it wasn't at my house). Willpower is great, but if you can remove the temptation that will help you be even more successful.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months