Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis, pumping & exhusted

Default mastitis, pumping & exhusted

Hi Mommas~
    I am in a bout of mastitis, i get it quite often, but this time i'm confused & frustrated.
    DS is 11 months, and discovering more and more each day. We've EB from the start, we co sleep. The standard remedy of nurse nurse nurse doesn't work anymore, as some days like the past 2 he hardly eats, i feel like i'm constantly pushing the boob in his face to get some relief, that in turn turns on the "faucet" and my boobs fill and no relief.
    I'm treating my mastitis with natural remedies which I can successfully do, my question more lays with the nursing. I don't like to pump b/c I feel like that will just keep filling my breasts with no relief but to keep pumping, but I feel like it makes to infection worse if the boobs stay filled?????
    I just pumped as I couldn't stand it any longer, as the infection is in my smaller breast, and the workhorse boob is the one neglected, which I just pumped and got 4 ounces in like 5 min.
    Pump, or not? cool it with "trying" to get him to nurse?
    And if one more person tells me "it seems like he's all done with the breastfeeding"......
    Thank you.
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

Default Re: mastitis, pumping & exhusted

He's not done nursing, he's only 11 months old! He's probably very distractible, though, and that means that if you want him to nurse you have to offer more than he seems to want. That would be my first choice for treating the mastitis: nurse, nurse, nurse, even if your LO seems kind of disinterested. My second choice for treating the mastitis would be to pump. Yes, this will keep your production on the higher side, but right now you want to treat the mastitis first and deal with any oversupply issues second. Either way, when you have mastitis the best thing you can do is to empty the breast. As you correctly perceive, the infection will get worse if the breast isn't drained.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'll do it. It's hard, but I won't quit. Trying to BF a distractable, not interested baby can be defeating.
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

Sorry it's been such a challenge for you. Hang in there! You are doing an awesome job!
    Questio: Have you tried nursing in a quiet and familiar place? Turn the lights down, go to the same room, same, chair/couch/bed. Maybe he won't be so distracted. I've noticed that if my daughter is in a new place with lots of people, she won't nurse very long or sometimes not at all, even when I think she must be getting hungry! However, in these instances, if I take her to a quiet place (if one is available) and let her look around a bit, she will then settle down and nurse.

Try the quiet nursing place first, and if he still won't nurse, pump.

Keep up the good work and good luck!