Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Urgent advice needed, 11 mnth old biting

Exclamation Urgent advice needed, 11 mnth old biting

Hi there

My 11 month old son has developed a bad biting habit in the past few weeks, which has gotten worse and is interfering with feeds now. He had 4-5 feeds day, and in the past few days has reduced to a maximum of 2-3. For some feeds, he turns his head toward me or plays with my shirt, then when I offer him the breast he bites, hard. I have been dealing with the biting by inserting my finger to take him off, trying not to yelp, and saying 'no biting', firmly but calmly. He used to laugh at this, now he gets upset. He also has been biting my chest, arms, etc when he has these episodes, usually at bedtime or during the night.

He has four teeth and a fifth visibly on the move this week, but no redness on the gums. We're also away from home, but this started before then. (he moved to his own room recently, but this started weeks later). We have used teething gel and sometimes baby paracetamol which has previously helped, but not always in the past few days. He's otherwise healthy as far as I can tell and eating / drinking water normally. My concern is that this might lead to weaning he isn't ready for. Or perhaps this is the beginning of him giving up on his own? I hadn't expected it to be so traumatic for us both if it is, do babies normally ask to nurse then bite as part of the process? If it is only temporary, and perhaps part of teething, when should I be concerned about a risk to my supply, and maybe needing to express to keep it up?

Any advice or ideas will be greatly welcomed, we're struggling a bit!

Default Re: Urgent advice needed, 11 mnth old bi

Since I posted this, I read the LLLI faq on biting, which says it's almost never weaning related. I have tried all those ideas already, but will persevere! Any thoughts, advice, similar experiences still welcome!

Do you put him down after he bites? For some babies being removed from the breast doesn't get the picture across well enough.

You're doing the right thing by being calm- I know a mama whose baby self-weaned after she (the baby) bit the mom really hard and the mom reacted with a scream. Which is totally understandable! But if you can generate a calm reaction that'd the best way to go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal, on both points. If possible, a calm but firm reaction. Sometimes it's not possible-you are human-but do your best!

I like this kellymom article on biting : http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html