Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Expressing Milk

Default Expressing Milk

Hello My name is Andrea, I am from colombia. My Daugther is 8 months and I work in sales so i am at the office all day. Sometimes it is easy to go to the restroom 10 minutes or 15 and express my milk but there are days when I really don´t have a minute to do it. Is it necesary that I keep pumping during the day at the office?

My milk supply has never been much, or at least it has never come out with the breast pump. I just get 1 ounze or less in the 10 minutes I go to the restroom.

I am nursing her in the early morning from 5 am thru 6 am and then when i return home from 6 pm thru 7 pm. Sometimes she nurses very good 30 minutes of each breast but in the last 3 weeks it has been all a mess . She starts nursing and then goes fussing and looking around and crying and the longest i manage to keep her nursing from each breast is 5 or 10 minutes. I really don´t know what to do...it is very frustrating. Is this a normal behavior?

Thanks for your help and comments

Default Re: Expressing Milk

I am glad you are here.

It sounds like you need to express more milk. Milk supply is dependent on demand. If you do not express, your body does not make milk, and it will dry up.

Yes, it is difficult to stop and pump every few hours, but it is necessary.

What kind of pump do you have? Is it new? Perhaps we can help you troubleshoot.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with aprilsmagic. The key to maintaining or increasing milk supply is to remove as much milk as possible as often as possible. If you go a long time without pumping or nursing, your body will interpret that long period of no demand as a sign that it is making too much milk, and it will reduce supply.

Does your baby sleep through the night? Often mothers who work outside the home find that sleeping with their baby means improved milk supply because the baby feeds during the night, and babies who may resist nursing during the day may nurse peacefully when they are half-asleep and relaxed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your responds, I really appreciatte

Yes we co - spleep and she nurses at night but just for few minutes each time. Does it still helps to improve my supply?

My pump is a medela but i will make it revise by my doctor and also where i bought it. Thanks

Yes, every bit of stimulation counts when it comes to maintaining supply! Even a short nursing session means your body produces a bit more milk than it would have otherwise.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"