Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacifier/Bottle Advice / Recommendation?

Default Pacifier/Bottle Advice / Recommendation?

everyone,

Can't believe we're not in the newborn forum anymore.

Anyway... DS is 3 months old. For the first month of his life he was nursed and bottle-fed (formula as well as expressed milk) due to lousy advice and a first-time mom who did whatever the doctors ordered. Nursing was going downhill fast, and me along with it, so at 1 month I abandoned bottles, pumps, and pacifiers. DS has been nursing like a champ ever since, and at 3 months he is double his birth weight.

But now he refuses both bottle and pacifier. I'm not working, so the bottle isn't a serious issue, but eventually I will need to be away for a few hours (doc appts., etc.) and would feel better if he weren't on strike or screaming with DH while I'm gone. DH has been trying to practice with the bottle now and then, and we've been following this http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    but DS is not having it. If he's not really hungry, he'll play around with the nipple for a while, but that's it. He never actually closes his mouth around it. Once he's hungry, he screams and doesn't want anything to do with the bottle in his face.
    Any thoughts out there?
    Do we just have to keep trying and hope DS will eventually give in?

As far as the pacifier, DS used it the first month, but now it's like he no longer knows what to do with it. I've had no problem being his pacifier for the past two months, but I'd like to try the pacifier again. Why, you ask? DS is still waking every two hours at night, although sometimes it's not really to eat - he'll drift back pretty quickly once he starts nursing. During the day as well, there are times he just wants to comfort himself, and he gets mad once the milk starts coming out!

Unlike the bottle, he never gets angry when I try the pacifier. When I put it in his mouth, he chomps at it with his gums, and by the look on his face you'd think I'd doused it in lemon juice. But he still gums at it as long as I hold it there. If I push it further into his mouth to try and get him to suction, he gags.
    The only pacifier I have is the Soothie because that's what the LC recommended.

Can anyone recommend another kind that he may take to? I was in Target the other day and noticed that there are other pacifier brands with shorter nipples, some flat. But before I go paying for multiple pacifiers that he's not going to use, I'd be curious if anyone has noticed the same thing with their LO and has any recommendations.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Pacifier/Bottle Advice / Recommendat

So glad you decided to listen to yourself & it went better than the docs suggested!

We had the same problem with mine but @ 4 wks (I was going back to work) with both bottle & pacifier. I bought every type of pacifier there was until he settled on something he liked, MAM. The bottles are were a little more difficult as they're more expensive. We had the best luck with Breastflow although he sucked in too much air & are now using the MAM anti-colic bottles. Hope that helps!

My daughter absolutely refuses a bottle or a pacifier as well! Its very frustrating. I bough every binki out there. She did end up taking the MAM for a while but then when I didn't offer it for a few days she stopped and wouldn't take it again. She is now 3 months and still refuses. But the MAM was the only one she actually figured out how to suck on. She'd do the same thing as yours, chew on it quite happily. But never suck. Or if I put it in farther GAG! lol. As for bottles she still won't take one at all. But at one point we had a tiny bit of success with the BreastFlow bottle. My sister had success with the MAM. The breastflow is much more like breast than any I have seen. Good luck and if you find any magic trick let me know!

Congrats on breastfeeding going so well and things turning around!

As far as the pacifier goes, my son has taken MAM pacis since he was a few weeks old. I had oald and oversupply so a lot of comfort nursing made that worse and hurt his tummy. At 10 months he still uses it but not as much. He never liked soothies, and my toddler loves them. So you may just need to try another brand, or it may be that you've missed your window as far as introducing a pacifier.

Bottles- my son never took them so I can't be of much help there. Honestly once we got into a groove where nursing was going really well I hesitated to introduce the bottle. And then when I finally did he no longer would take one! Here is what I discovered (and this only applies if you are a sahm and won't be pumping)- getting them to take a bottle really isn't necessary. The first 6 months there was always milk available in case of unforseen emergency, like me not getting back in time or stuck in traffic, etc. Otherwise I would nurse him before leaving and make it back in 3 hours max. After 6 months it's not a big deal if I'm gone a bit longer because he can eat solids or have water if he is hungry or thirsty. Because by 10 months (assuming you're not gone all day) it's not even milk they want, they want to nurse! I still am really only separated from my baby 2-3 hours during the day and never in the evening yet. I would like a date night eventually but Dylan is such a sensitive baby and if he were to wake up and I wasn't there to nurse him he would be very upset. But I'm weird in that I really don't like being separated from my babies much the first year at least...
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I just wanted to say your baby reminds me exactly of my baby. He is 3 months and we are going through basically the same thing. The difference being that I had to go back to work and I work nights. SO he is learning to take a bottle....reluctantly. The breastflow bottles seem to be working the best. We tried multiple different ones but he will take that one. Not to say he takes it well but good enough to get something to eat while I'm gone at night. But the same thing with the pacifier. He would happily use me as a pacifier but once the milk starts flowing he gets kinda angry. He really won't take a paicifier. We will suck on the bigger nuk paci but only if I hold it in his mouth....every once in a while he will actually hold it in his mouth on his own but only for a minute or two. Good luck let me know what paci works for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Have you tried adiri bottles? They are most like the breast that I have found. I returned to work when my DS was 5 weeks old and tried every bottle under the sun. I first used the adiri and breastflow bottles. He took both fine but my DH liked the adiri bottle because it has only two pieces! Whereas the breastflow bottle is like putting together a transformer toy. We now use the Playtex nurser drop-ins and he does just fine.

Also, he had taken a soothie since about 4 weeks. Some days he loves it and some days he refuses to take it.

My DS will take any bottle (not sure how we got so lucky), but he will ONLY take the MAM pacifiers
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

My son wouldn't take a pacifier at first, and then about 3.5 months he started to take it. Then as soon as he started teething around 5 months he stopped taking it and has refused it ever since. We tried a lot of different kinds and the only one he would try was the NUK ones.

He also doesn't take a bottle except on the rare occasion where I offer multiple times until he finally accepts and the only bottle that he will use is the Born Free ones. They are super slow flow and work well for him.

Thank you all for the recommendations!! I think I'm going to try our luck with the MAM for now and maybe NUK. If I have any luck, I will report back!

As far as the bottles, I don't know how much I'm going to insist. I definitely hear where PP Melissa is coming from.

Last night I had to be gone for a few hours. I nursed DS at 6:15 before leaving. DH reported that baby got very hungry, but he had no luck with the bottle. DS screamed, fussed, fell asleep at 9:40. I got home just before 10. I was sure DS would be up in no time to eat - this baby has been eating every 2 to 3 hours on the dot since he was born!
    But what do you know, last night he slept a whole 4 hours before getting up to nurse! He nursed very well at 1:45 a.m., and then... slept another 4 hours!! Out of nowhere! I don't know whether to be happy, or sad because it's a sign he's getting older! (I've become very weepy since becoming a mom - normal?? I remember crying when we got home from the hospital because he was no longer a day old and "it was all passing so fast" haha!!)

Cup feeding? The trick is to put the lip of the (small, maybe shot glass size or a bit larger) cup to babies lower lip and just tip it barely enough for baby to begin to lick/lap/slurp the milk. Baby should be upright. In other words, do not pour it down babies throat. Dr. Jack Newman has a good video of cup feeding but it shows a mom with her breast exposed so, just make sure you are comfortable with that. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=videos

Soon, or maybe even now, a sippy cup may work. Same deal, let baby have control of the flow, don't pour down throat.

& yes I would agree, it is unlikely neccesary for a baby to ever take a bottle (or a paci, I would say, but ymmv) as long as mom is, in most circumstances, going to be around. For emergencies, a clean finger often makes a good pacifier. Plus baby is still young enough for date night WITH baby. That won't last much longer, trust me, so take advantage & save the price of a sitter.