Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hair falling out?!

Default Hair falling out?!

The last few days I have been losing so much hair! I know this can happen after having a baby, but I'm 5 months post-partum! Does it usually start this long after baby? I'm sure it's different for everyone, but how long does this usually last? At this rate I'll be bald in a week or two Not really, but it seems that way...
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Default Re: Hair falling out?!

We have a thread about that: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...rt-falling-out...

I'm not really sure how long it lasts. Sorry.

I'm 5 1/2 months post partum with my second and it started around 4 months which is later than with my first. I'm still clogging the drain weekly... Make sure you are getting appropriate nutrition while breastfeeding as malnutrition can intensify the hair loss.

My hair started falling out around 4 mo PP and really got going around 5 mo PP. I, too, was surprised by how late this occurred and how long it lasted. If you find your hair is becoming thinner than before then it might be time to consider potential illness or malnutrition.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

That was about when it happened for me. But it has finally stopped.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

my hair also started falling out by the handfuls at around 5 months. usually in the shower, and it was a bit distressing to see even if i knew it was normal. the house was always full of my fallen hairs everywhere! the worst of it lasted for about a month. then i went back to my pre-pregnancy pattern. also, i think the contrast with pregnancy and post-partum (when barely a hair would fall out) made it seem worse than it was.

i can now tell that my hair is less full than before, but only because i know my hair well. i don't think it looks abnormally thin. however i do have long curly hair, so that helps give it a bit more body i suppose.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Thanks everyone! I should have searched the archives before posting...that other thread was helpful! Not exactly what I was hoping to hear though I have a lot of hair but it's fine...I was really enjoying my nice thick pony tail so I'm super bummed that I'm losing it. It also seems a little more oily that before (can't remember if it was like that pre-prego or not). & it doesn't help that baby girl is in the hair pulling stage - between the natural shedding & her pulling I'm a little worried about how much is coming out! Crossing my fingers that it won't last too long...

I am doing my best to get balanced nutrition, despite being dairy free. Taking vitamins & calcium supplement daily, but I think my weight might be a little lower than it was pre-prego (still healthy range tho I think).
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong