Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much in bottle?

Default How much in bottle?

My son is about 7.5 months old and goes to his grandma's house for day care 4 days per week. I have been providing 3.5 oz bottles but my mom recently said it seems like he wants more.

I just used http://www.fourfriends.com/cgi-bin/milk.pl and it said at a minimum I should be providing 4.8 oz!! I do NOT produce that much when I pump. Not at all. I think on a good day I can get about 12-13 oz but I have days where I barely get 7. I pump 3-4 times.

So is the calculator right? My son seems to be doing ok... putting on weight (though he is a small guy) and developing well.

Default Re: How much in bottle?

Mine only takes 4 oz, and he is 10 months; he has been drinking 4 oz per feeding since he was about 3 months old. Most breastfed babies need no more than 1.5 oz max per hour of separation. I've never seen that calculator.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ok good, I was starting to doubt myself. I usually leave four 3oz bottles on my long days, and he sometimes only takes one or two bottles. Maybe I will try doing 4oz bottles and only giving them 3. The reason I worried is because my mom has been very good about him being a bf baby and has not really questioned anything (she formula fed my and my sisters), so I know she wouldn't say this just off hand. I would think if he needed more quantity I would produce more, but I am producing less than ever... but that is a worry for another post

Mine is 9 months and he, at most, takes 4 oz at a time. I am gone from him from 7:30 to 4:30 or 5 and he normally takes 3 bottles, sometimes less, very rarely more.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I just think it depends on the baby's tummy. My daughter never took more than 3 oz in one feeding but just needed to eat more often.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My babies never took more than 4 ounces at a time, even when they were closer to 11-12 months. You could try putting 4 ounces in the bottles... that is only 0.5 ounces more than you're putting now, and that little bit of extra might be enough to satisfy him.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.