Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why can't you refreeze breast milk?

Default Why can't you refreeze breast milk?

We (meaning she obviously) have been very good about pumping storage following all the rules and guidelines on storing milk. However, recently the babysitter brought us a bag of the milk we had been giving her with around 40-50 oz of breast milk. She was so upset that the sitter had all this milk that was thawing and hadnt been used. Do we just throw all this milk away? what are the major issues with refreezing the milk after it as started to thaw? What type of damage will that do to our son?

Default Re: Why can't you refreeze breast milk?

If it wasn't completely thawed I'd stick it back in the freezer not sure if thats right or not...but I think that if there is a power outage and milk is partially thawed it is ok...
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I'd be careful about this. Thawing and refreezing is a known (and common) way that bacteria that cause food poisoning can enter food and start to multiply. So, once you've thawed some chicken, it is recommended that you eat it or toss it, do not refreeze it. That said, breastmilk has a lot of properties that help it to resist spoiling, so you can get away with bending the rules a little bit. Still, if I had a lot of breastmilk that thawed, I would not put it all back in the freezer.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

if you do decide to refreeze, maybe label it as refrozen and save it for an emergency? Hopefully the emergency situation never arises and you eventually toss it with no hard feelings, but if it does arise then at that time you reevaluate how you feel abut using the refrozen milk. Just putting the decision off for a while can help. I kept a few oz of refrozen milk in the freezer for a long time because it had been such an effort to produce and transport and store those oz. I wasn't yet ready to simply dump them down the sink. Call me a hoarder if you will!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yes and educate that sitter! I think I'd go ballistic if someone thawed 50 oz of my milk!!!!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    yes and educate that sitter! I think I'd go ballistic if someone thawed 50 oz of my milk!!!!
    That is a lot of milk. That SUCKS.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Why can't it be used now?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    Why can't it be used now?
    This is a good point. Use as much as you can over the next couple days.

You can call me JoMo!

If its still 50% frozen, it's Ok to pop back in the freezer. More than that, no way. It is like other food...you don't refreeeze once you thaw it.

That is why I leave only 10 oz with my sitter, that she keeps in the freezer. I had the same experience like 6 years ago.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!