Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure if there is a solution...

Default Not sure if there is a solution...

My DH is no longer working (long story), so I decided to pick up a couple shifts at a friend's bar to help make ends meet. Not my ideal place to work, but it's better than an 8-5 since most of the time I'm at work, LO is asleep.
    So, here's my situation. My LO is 15 months, and since I've started working (being away from him for 8-10 hours at a time), I've been trying to increase nursing at home. But he's been going through a bit of a "nursing strike" since I started working. He'll take the breast when offered, but jumps down after a minute, before my milk gets a chance to let down. I'm worried about my milk completely depleting before he's ready to wean. Being away from him for so long sucks, but the fact that he's not nursing as often when I am home has me really worried. I can't pump at work since there is no one to relieve me. (It's a small bar, and only one person works per shift.)
    What's more, DH just got denied unemployment. We are appealing, but that means we'll have to wait even longer before we get that money. Which means I have to take on MORE shifts at the bar. Probaly 4 or 5 nights a week. This is REALLY going to kill my supply.
    Anyway, I'm not really sure there is a solution. I wanted to nurse my son as long as possible. And 15 months just isn't long enough! I'm broken hearted at the time I'll be away from him, but even moreso that this may end our nursing perminently.
    LO born October 28, 2010

Default Re: Not sure if there is a solution...

Don't worry Mama! Your child is over a year old. You can trust your body to make milk and the right amount of milk after the year point. I stay home until DJ was 14 months old. The went back to work full time. No place to pump. I was away between 42 and 50 hours a week. He would drink water and eat solids while away from me all day and nurse on demand while together. If your child is acting funny or distracted lay down together at nap time, and be available first thing in the AM when he wakes. But all this to say even IF you have to work 40+ hours a week, you will still be able to nurse on demand while together!

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re: Not sure if there is a solution...

That's VERY comforting to know I'll still be able to nurse on demand while I'm home. I have noticed that we have much better success nursing if we're rocking in his room with the lights off. So I'll just have to concede to the fact that nursing him on the couch in the living room is no longer possible. With the tv on, his toys everywhere, and DH puttering around, LO just can't concentrate!
    LO born October 28, 2010