Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/storing question

Default Pumping/storing question

Hi, Mamas! Can you help this mother who wrote in to New Beginnings Magazine with this question? Please be as detailed as you feel comfortable being and you can either post your answers here, or send me a private message. Please be aware that you may be published in the New Beginnings column, "Making It Work". This is another way that your experiences can really help other mamas and I am always so grateful when I read about them! Her situation is below and thanks in advance!

Winema Lanoue
    Contributing Editor: Making It Work
    New Beginnings Magazine
    LLLUSA

New Mother's situation:

“I am thinking about ways to keep my milk frozen when I am away from my daughter on business trips. I will be taking my first in a few weeks and I plan to pump but I’m not sure how to store the milk in the hotel and how to get it home. Have other moms taken it on a plane? How about sending it through a courier service? What was your experience with these? Any other ideas?”

Default Re: Pumping/storing question

Have you dealt with bringing milk on airplanes or using courier services? Can you please take a moment to respond to this mom? Thanks to those who have responded!

I'm on my phone right now and too unskilled to search, but I posted a new thread a couple years back with a lot of details on flying with breastmilk after a business trips. It's very long and detailed, so hopefully it will help.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Thanks so much!

I am taking my first pumping business trip this week. I called ahead to TSA and asked about carrying milk onboard as I plan to be returning home with over 50 oz. They said that breast milk has been excluded from the items that can not be brought on board and that there are no limitations on qty. They did tell me to make sure I point it out at security check and that they may conifm my trip duration to make sure the qty makes sense (ie I wasn't gone a day coming back with that qty) I also have done additional research on storage and have come up with a pretty workable plan. I will be traveling with a cooler type bag and 4I bags of Blue Ice frozen. I have mapped out my pumpong times ahead of time so I know if I will need to find a secluded area on the plane or at the airport. I also mapped out my conference schedule to see how to plan my pumping times. I wont be off more than 45I mins from the schedule my baby would've been on. I called ahead to the hotel to confirm that my room would have an fridge. If not you can request one be brought in and try to get it for free or pay the charge. You can also request that the hotel allow you to store milk in one of their freezers for your trip duration. Im told this is more likely to be granted when you speak with a manager upon arrival(as is the n/c fridge). My peditrician told me to go no more than 4 hrs between pumps and be gone no more than 4I full days. I am travel thursday to Sunday. I plan to return with all of my pumped supply. I will post an update next week about how this all turned out.

* please ignore the 8 I after the numbers.. was typing on iphone

If you can , pump a little more often, planning for 8-12 sessions at the pump totaling 120 minutes in 24 hours, or about how your baby would be nursing Every 4 hours may be a little too long, especially if your LO nurses at night.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!