Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/storing question

Default Pumping/storing question

Hi, Mamas! Can you help this mother who wrote in to New Beginnings Magazine with this question? Please be as detailed as you feel comfortable being and you can either post your answers here, or send me a private message. Please be aware that you may be published in the New Beginnings column, "Making It Work". This is another way that your experiences can really help other mamas and I am always so grateful when I read about them! Her situation is below and thanks in advance!

Winema Lanoue
    Contributing Editor: Making It Work
    New Beginnings Magazine
    LLLUSA

New Mother's situation:

“I am thinking about ways to keep my milk frozen when I am away from my daughter on business trips. I will be taking my first in a few weeks and I plan to pump but I’m not sure how to store the milk in the hotel and how to get it home. Have other moms taken it on a plane? How about sending it through a courier service? What was your experience with these? Any other ideas?”

Default Re: Pumping/storing question

Have you dealt with bringing milk on airplanes or using courier services? Can you please take a moment to respond to this mom? Thanks to those who have responded!

I traveled with milk on a plane 2 years ago. They did have to open my bottles and put some form of paper in to test the milk....I don't know what it was, but it looked like ph paper we used in science class when I was a kid in school. I'm sure it was to test it to see if it was an explosive or something. I had it in a milk cooler bag with ice packs. It was pretty easy but getting through the security line did take long because they had to test it.

Good Luck!

I traveled with 3.5 days worth of milk as a carry on just this October.

As for storing in the hotel, I made sure to have a room with a refrigerator so I could keep the milk in there and not worry about ice and coolers and things during my stay. Milk is acceptable refrigerated for up to a week, so I chose to not freeze any.

I packed all the milk in plastic milk bags placed under a pile of ice in a soft sided cooler. When it came to security, the first TSA employee I asked told me I had to remove all the milk bags from my cooler before I got to the check point, the second employee I asked told me the same thing. I didn't want to remove the bags from my cooler because it would be hard to repack so I kept asking TSA employees what to do until I got an answer I liked. As we got closer to security checkpoint I asked yet another TSA employee and they told me to leave the bags in the cooler and send the entire thing through the x-ray machine. Finally. I told the employee operating the machine that there was breast milk in my cooler and he called someone to retrieve the cooler as it exited the machine. They opened the cooler, moved some ice around to see all the way to the bottom, then let us on our way. We got ice from a restaurant ice machine to top off the cooler for the rest of the trip.

When I got back home with a pile of milk I decided to send that milk to daycare every day until it was used up while immediately freezing what I was pumping daily. My husband occasionally gave a bottle while at home so that we could get through it a bit faster, too.
    Last edited by @llli*sassypants; December 7th, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

Thanks so much!