Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hungry baby?!

Default Hungry baby?!

I have been feeding my baby but for now he is totally on formula. He had 4oz or more every 2 hours. He put on too much weight and midwife told me not to feed him before 3 hours (as you double the birth weight at 6 months in this case he would be 14lb at 6 months. He is now nearly 11lb and only a month and a half!) so now he is starving after 2 hours so it's really hard to distract him as he screams and screams for milk!
    Today I got milk for hungrier babies. Cow and gate.
    Is this okay that I got this, maybe he will be more satisfied for longer right?
    Iv'e got it now so I'm going to try it later on.

Default Re: Hungry baby?!

Bad advice from the midwife. You do not want to stretch out the time between feedings, regardless of whether or not the baby is breastfed or formula-fed. If the baby is overeating, which can happen easily when you're using bottles and formula, you want to do the following:
    - Feed on demand, but offer smaller amounts in the bottles. 2 oz very 2 hours is the same as 4 oz every 4 hours, but the baby won't be starving so long in between feedings.
    - Use a slow-flow or newborn nipple on the bottles so that the feeding goes as slow as possible.
    - Pause the feeding after every oz or so, to give the baby a chance to decide whether or not he 's still really hungry.
    - If the baby is still hungry after finishing a smaller bottle, try offering a pacifier.

Don't worry over much about rapid weight gain in early infancy! It is normal for some babies to gain very fast in early infancy. Once a baby becomes mobile, and calories start going into motion rather than being packed on as fat, weight gain tends to slow down.

Mama, what happened with the pumping and bottle-feeding breastmilk?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

for your midwife. Feed that baby. All but my cleft baby were 17 lbs at 6 months or more, and they all slowed dramatically once they became mobile. A couple even fell off the charts. And it's OK.

Why is he on formula? Are you not pumping well?

And you can overfeed a formula fed baby. Formula does not change like breastmilk does to meet a baby's needs.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Joe was 7.5 lbs at birth, and 24 lbs at six months! And he wasn't overfed. His weight gain slowed down a ton after that, and now he's pretty average. This is all normal!

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help you get him back to the breast.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Right,

Iv'e decided to put him back on the breast milk ( the reason I stopped was because I was told from everywhere that my milk may not be good and affecting him which is why he was always crying ect so I changed it and tbh it didn't make MUCH of a difference.

I have 2 big bags of frozen milk back in my mums freezer but I am now pumping every 2 hours.

As he gets older he will want mroe milk right? but do I have to still watch the time like will the hours get LONGER between feeds as he gets older or SHORTER?

Also, is it okay to top him up with formula (hungry baby one, if it is okay would you rather it was the normal cow and gate and not hungry baby) or just keep it ALL breast milk IF possible?

Always best to keep the baby on 100% breastmilk, if possible, and to never use formula unless it is absolutely necessary.

As your baby gets older, he may want more milk, but he probably won't want as much as you fear. Breastfed babies do not incree their needs for food the way formula-fed babies do, probably because breastmilk changes over time to provide exactly the right nutrition for your baby's developmental stage.

As your baby gets older, he may go longer stretches between feedings, or he may not. Some babies eventually settle into a rhthym of eating every 3 or so hours, whereas others continue to want to eat every 1-2 hours. It's impossible to predict what sort of baby your baby will grow into.

I'm sorry you got such negative advice from the people in your life, mama. Often when people tell you that breastfeeding is bad for your baby, they're telling you that because they failed at it and they subconsciously want you to fail, too. Because if you fail that means breastfeeding really is hard and there's no reason for them to feel ashamed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Always best to keep the baby on 100% breastmilk, if possible, and to never use formula unless it is absolutely necessary.

As your baby gets older, he may want more milk, but he probably won't want as much as you fear. Breastfed babies do not incree their needs for food the way formula-fed babies do, probably because breastmilk changes over time to provide exactly the right nutrition for your baby's developmental stage.

As your baby gets older, he may go longer stretches between feedings, or he may not. Some babies eventually settle into a rhthym of eating every 3 or so hours, whereas others continue to want to eat every 1-2 hours. It's impossible to predict what sort of baby your baby will grow into.

I'm sorry you got such negative advice from the people in your life, mama. Often when people tell you that breastfeeding is bad for your baby, they're telling you that because they failed at it and they subconsciously want you to fail, too. Because if you fail that means breastfeeding really is hard and there's no reason for them to feel ashamed.
    Thank you

My midwife said ''NEVER'' to feed my baby before 3 hours so I see him cry and cry

Your midwife is wrong. Baby may want milk after 1 or 2 hrs it depends on the baby and if he is hungry you should listen to him not the clock. I'm glad you went back to bm instead of formula you can do it!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    Your midwife is wrong. Baby may want milk after 1 or 2 hrs it depends on the baby and if he is hungry you should listen to him not the clock. I'm glad you went back to bm instead of formula you can do it!
    How long of a gap SHOULD there be between feedings at LEAST?
    she said you do not do on demand with bottle feeding but with breastfeeding you do she was really agitated that he is over weight

as in from 12:45pm he had 6oz and how at 2:55pm he is having another 4oz he wouldnt stop crying. How do I know if im over feeding him?

Personally, I would NOT be worried that baby is overweight. But I would switch him back onto breastmilk. No matter how much weight he gains on breastmilk, it's FINE. Not a big fan of your midwife, sorry!

There is no minimum time for breastmilk. I would give small amounts of formula on demand, too. Like 2-3 oz as needed. I don't like the idea of the baby screaming in hunger, I don't care what the food is.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.