Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch issues

Smile Latch issues

My 11 day old and I are struggling with latch issues. We finally got the right side "figured out" but she still has a really hard time latching correctly on the left (she is not taking enough of my areola in and I can't figure out how to get more in- she's very quick to latch on to just the nipple! Ouch!). Am thinking of nursing on the right and pumping on the left but wonder if that will affect my milk supply. Any suggestions/ideas?

Default Re: Latch issues

You can try the breast sandwich technique. I've had to do that with my first DD.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...verted-nipples

Maybe express a little breastmilk from that breast to make it more manageable if you find that it's fuller than her preferred side and that might be causing the issue.

Congrats on your LO and

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Try feeding her on that side with the same position you use on the successful side...just slide her over your lap. Or try side lying nursing.

If she won't nurse that side, then, yes, pump to keep up your supply.

Most babies develop a side preference, whether it be from how we hold them, to how the milk comes down, to how the nipple is shaped, or some other factor. But it can be overcome.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Have you tried different positioning (side lying or laid back or just anything else? It's pretty common to need to do something a bit different on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    It's pretty common to need to do something a bit different on each side.
    I've nursed four kids now...never knew this. There's sooo much I still have to learn. Thanks!
    Wendy

Wife of my hero since 12/2006.

Mom to DD born 09/2006, nursed for 4 mos.
    DD born 12/2008, nursed 9 mos.
    DS born 09/2010, nursed 8 weeks, started cloth diapering at 10 mos.
    DD born 11/2011, so far nursing well and determined to make it a year! Cloth diapering.

Catholic, work-outside-the-home, student. My best friend says I'm addicted to babies...guilty as charged!