Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nightweaning HELP

Default Nightweaning HELP

My DD is 12 months old. I would like to start weaning her. She has been EBF, no bottles. She eats solids and is now taking some milk with cup. She nurses 3 or 4 times during the day and at night she wants to nurse every 2 hours. I am so exhausted that I want to wean her so I can get sleep. I do not like hearing her cry so I give in and nurse her at night. I am proud of myself for going this long as I only made it 3 months with my other children. I just can't keep doing this. Partly it is hard for me with calorie intake as I have had weight loss surgery. Please help with advice on weaning her.
    Thanks

Default Re: Nightweaning HELP

So are you just looking to night wean? Or is that just where you want to begin? Have you looked at Jay Gordons' method?

Way too lazy for formula

I would like to wean all together. But nights are when she nurses the most.

Right this minute she is probably eating a lot at night because of the pain associated with her 1st year molars that are probably starting to break. Do you co-sleep?

Way too lazy for formula

No we don't cosleep. She sleeps in crib in our room about 5 feet from me. I thought maybe teething because she only has 2 teeth. I tried teething tablets and that didn't change anything.

Here is an article on Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning method. Weaning is best if it is a gradual process and it sounds like the nighttime is the hardest for you so that would be the place to start with the weaning process.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

And Try dosing her with Motrin for teeth. If you get back at least a 3 hour stretch at night she probably is in pain.

Way too lazy for formula