Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush

Default Thrush

Last night as my baby was crying I noticed her tongue was extremely white. It's always a little white but it was severe. Also spots on her cheeks. I know this has to be thrush. I feel like I have it a little too. My nipples are starting to get dry and a little flakey. I am taking my babe to the doc today. I have some nystatin should I start putting it on my nipples? She cries everytime she tries to nurse. It breaks my heart.

Default Re: Thrush

how did things go at the doctor today?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

The doctor looked in her mouth for all of 2 seconds and said, "yup it's thrush alright" I'm thinking, yes I know, I just told you that haha. But he prescribed Nystatin for her (a suspension oral form) and I told him about the nystatin I already had and he said just go ahead and use that since its only a month old and the exact same thing he'd prescribe. I just hope it works fast. My poor baby's mouth is covered in the white fuzz. I am so surprised I didn't notice it sooner. Probably because her tongue is always a little white even when I wipe it out well. So it just got away from me. Haha my husband is sure pleased I'm airing out my sore nipples though. Hahahahah

My son developed oral thrush after I had a course of post-c section antibiotics 2 weeks ago, and he had good results (and enjoyed his medicine) with the Nystatin oral infusion when I "painted" it in his mouth with my index finger. I simultaneously applied 100,000 unit OTC Nystatin cream to my nipples 2x daily and washed my nipples in warm, mild soapy water after each feeding to avoid cross-contaminating my breasts with success. If you have any relapses, I'd recommend systemic fluconazole, as it has higher clinical efficacy than Nystatin.

As candida can be quite uncomfortable for LOs, my pediatrician also recommended supplementing with lactobacillus probiotic drops to rebuild healthy intestinal flora. I've been giving my son 5 drops daily for a few weeks of BioGaia and he's had noticeably less GI distress! Hope this helps!