Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cross Nursing Thoughts

Default Cross Nursing Thoughts

Considering having a dear friend cross-nurse while she's watching him. She has a son 3 weeks younger than mine (Mine is 9 wks). Not sure how I feel about it. Would be great for no bottles. She'd be with him 4 hours/day 4 days/week at most. Also considering the fact that since I didn't jump for joy at the thought of her doing this for us means I don't really want her to. Feel it's a last-ditch effort in the nipple confusion & grandparents feeding issue. Wondering what others thoughts are, if anyone has any experience with this.

Default Re: Cross Nursing Thoughts

I have cross nursed for my SIL a few times while babysitting, so not as consistently a you would be doing, but it works fabulously for us. I was a hard decision for her to make, but her son had nipple confusion early on, so they avoid bottles whenever possible.

It is a very personal decision that takes a lot of careful consideration and honesty with yourself and your friend. And not being super excited about it doesn't necessarily mean you don't want her to. It is a new and strange idea for most of us, and you may or may not find that it is the best route for you an your son.

I wish you the best of luck.
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

Since you asked for personal opinions, I will say that if I was confident about her health and nutrition and she was willing and able, then yes I would do it.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I can't say what you should do about someone cross-nursing your son. But something to consider is that you would still need to pump while away to keep up your supply for the weekends, and then is she going to have to deal with engorgement on the weekends.

m2l said what I wanted to say about you needing to pump while away anyway. But you can save that milk for later when your ds is ok with a bottle and/or you introduce a sippy. OR if you know someone that you are willing to donate that milk to that needs it. Kinda a stretch, but if you are in that situation why not?

If I were watching a friend's baby, and I were currently breastfeeding, I don't think I'd mind nursing her lo, too. However, like a PP said, there is the potential for your friend to get engorged on days when she's not nursing your lo. Especially since you both are just starting out...Prolly wouldn't be such a big deal, though, if she were nursing an older baby since she'd be more likely to have a well-established and flexible supply.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I agree with PP. I would be comfortable with a good friend to nurse if I'm unavailable, but would be concerned about supply. However, it would make me feel so much more confident leaving my baby with a nursing mom for so many reasons. She would understand how to handle pumped milk, understand the need for nursing for comfort and be able to do it in a pinch if for some reason my milk wasn't enough or was lost.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I agree with PP. I would be comfortable with a good friend to nurse if I'm unavailable, but would be concerned about supply. However, it would make me feel so much more confident leaving my baby with a nursing mom for so many reasons. She would understand how to handle pumped milk, understand the need for nursing for comfort and be able to do it in a pinch if for some reason my milk wasn't enough or was lost.
    This wouldn't have been an option with my youngest due to her food allergies, but I would be grateful to have someone be willing and offer. From what you described it seems like maybe one session a day. You could nurse right before you left him and right when you picked him up, it's not like she'd be his main form of milk. I didn't nurse directly due to the distance, but I did pump for my cousin's daughter to limit the amount of formula she supplemented with. I think I was actually built to be a wet nurse in another life

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

thanks so much for the input! i'm more concerned with my attachment issues & him bonding with another woman. i have an odd schedule & the week after the 4 day week he'd be with her only 2 hrs, then skip a day & then with her 8 hours. already gearing myself up for him to call someone else mommy before me because i'm not around as much. We're already looking into the milk donation (i have an incredible supply) & it really wouldn't be too long before he could have a cup. was thinking of trying that with him now. just incredibly tired of repeating the same words every day to the grandparents about the paced feeding, how to place the bottle in his mouth, nubby is for non sleep time, pacifier is for sleep on occasion. last night i had to 'trick' him into taking the boob over the pacifier. had to wait for the pacifier to drop out of his mouth. this working crap is for the birds! if i didn't love my job so much (and enjoy paying bills) i'd quit & twiddle my fingers or something. while researching the cross nursing there's a resurgence of wet nursing, maybe we could do that instead! I already pump at work so that's not an issue. her son is also a very sleepy baby. he can sleep in 12 hour stretches so the cross nursing for now would help with the engorgement. she has a 4 yr old she nursed until he was 1. but that is something i hadn't considered. thanks again for all the positive input!