Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many ounces of BM during day?

Default How many ounces of BM during day?

Yesterday my LO had her 9 mon. check up and she's in the 10th % of weight....3 months ago, she was in the 25th % of weight....

Dr. is concerned that she's not gaining enough, (two pounds since last visit and she's in the 95th for height) and asked about solids and BS. When I'm working...she gets 12 ounces between 7:45a - 5:15p and eats three meals....I feed her before she leaves in the am when she wakes up...and as soon as we get home at night...in addition to one or two more times before bed....

AND we're up between 2 hours - 4 hours every night....though with the holidays and cutting teeth (we're up to 4 now) that's been off as well...

Doc says 32 ounces per day and should be in the day (not at night). SO, how much BM at daycare should I have them do??? Of course, I have no idea how much she gets from me....and I'm pumping lately about 15 ounces give or take a day...including when I pump first thing in the am, 3 - 4 times at work and then before I go to bed...

Suggestions, comments, thoughts? Any and all would be appreciated. (Oh, and I'm seriously not worried about this (uncharacteristic for me BYW) yet, but do need advice! Thanks!
    married since 2007 to the man of my dreams!

had a water birth at home to my darling little girl born 2-18-11

working full time &

Cloth diapering

Default Re: How many ounces of BM during day?

I think 32 oz/day would be appropriate for a formula-fed baby but is way over what a breastfed baby needs, but someone else should be able to answer that more authoritatively. There's no reason to think that all of a baby's calories should be taken in during the day, though. That's just ridiculous. When you want to increase a baby's weight gain, the key is always to nurse more, not less.

One thing that is absolutely normal for a breastfed baby is for the baby to drop percentiles on the weight charts as she passes through the second half of her first year and starts devoting more of her calories to motion (reaching, rolling, crawling, sitting, standing, etc.) instead of packing them on as fat. Breastfed babies tend to gain weight relatively fast in their first few months, and then slow down after around 6 months, whereas formula-fed babies exhibit the opposite pattern of weight gain (they gain slow at first, then speed up). If you measure a breastfed baby by the charts developed using data from formula-fed infants, the breastfed baby looks like she's heading towards obesity during infancy, and then seems too skinny as she turn the corner towards toddlerhood.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would continue not worrying about it if I were you. It's pretty normal for the weight gain to slow after 6 mos. Especially if they start becoming more mobile (crawling or walking or whichever stage you are at). If you are pumping more than she's taking in during the day you could leave an extra bottle for times when she seems like she wants more, but other than that I'd just keep on keeping on. Sounds like you're doing great.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My daughter did the same thing - dropped from 50% to 25% at 9 months. My pediatrician didn't bat an eye. They are more mobile and burning off more calories. That amount of milk sounds right too. I'm away from my 10 month old about an hour longer than you and the most she took was around 16 ounces a day when she was around 3 or 4 months old and now she never takes more than 10. I send 9ish ounces and my babysitter has a frozen bag in her freezer in case the baby needs more than that. In general I can pump more than she needs on a given day, but I sure hate dumping 3 ounces down the drain because she drank some but not all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    My daughter did the same thing - dropped from 50% to 25% at 9 months. My pediatrician didn't bat an eye. They are more mobile and burning off more calories. That amount of milk sounds right too. I'm away from my 10 month old about an hour longer than you and the most she took was around 16 ounces a day when she was around 3 or 4 months old and now she never takes more than 10. I send 9ish ounces and my babysitter has a frozen bag in her freezer in case the baby needs more than that. In general I can pump more than she needs on a given day, but I sure hate dumping 3 ounces down the drain because she drank some but not all of it.
    what did your nights look like? was she up a lot?
    married since 2007 to the man of my dreams!

had a water birth at home to my darling little girl born 2-18-11

working full time &

Cloth diapering