Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting

Default Biting

Sadie is 9 weeks and she is always eating her hands and drooling all over the place. She started biting me when she's nursing now and left a blood blister on my nipple!! She's just getting over an ear infection. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Any suggestions? Could she be teething this early?

Default Re: Biting

3 months? Yes, teething can start that early! The teeth start moving around in the baby's gums long before they break the surface, so you may not see them for a few more months yet.

Does the chomping come at any particular time during the feeding?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It seems like she's biting towards the end of the feeding.

My DD did that a lot around 3-4 months and JUST got her first tooth breaking through yesterday. I think some of it was teething and some of it was helping control the flow. I have OALD & OS.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

My daughter didn't start biting until she was about 6 months. Whenever she did I unlatched her and took her away. She would scream for a few minutes then I would let her back on. It only took about 5 times before she realized that if she bit she didn't get food haha. I dunno if that will help in your case. But its worth a try maybe?

Yes, agree with PP. It sounds like teething. When my DS was biting during nursing sessions, I would nurse him with my finger at the tip of his mouth/my nipple. As soon as he started to tense his jaw muscles and get ready to clamp down, I would de-latch him. I was very vigilant with watching and leaning about him during the biting months. We powered thru the biting and continued our happy nursing relationship.
    Good luck!
    You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or who says it.
    Malcom X

Thanks for the advice!! Hopefully she will stop soon. It hasn't been as much of a problem the past 24 hrs