Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old doesn't ask to bf during day

Default 8 month old doesn't ask to bf during day

My 8 month old daughter is a very busy girl. She is so busy that she doesn't really slow down to nurse or have a bottle during the day. When I am with her, she doesn't really ask to nurse, I just make sure and do it every few hours to keep up my supply. My parents (who take care of her while I work during the day) say she doesn't ask for a bottle either. They give her one because I tell them to.
    I don't think we are missing her cues. She does nurse pretty much all night. Neither I nor my dh has an issue with her night nursing as she is also co-sleeping for much of the night (pretty much midnight to morning) and we like it that way.
    She is gaining weight, but she is small (approx 16 lbs). She has at least 5 wet and 1 poopy diaper during the day. She is eating solids (and loves it). She does burn a lot of calories by crawling around all day.
    I really don't think I need to worry, just wanted to check. My only other child (now 10) was a constant nurser and I never seemed to be able to pump enough for her so I'm not used to this.

Default Re: 8 month old doesn't ask to bf during

My second baby did that. Never cried. Never rooted. It was like he assumed I'd get around to feeding him eventually. So I fed him kind of on a schedule, and I watched closely for signs of hunger and thirst. They were there, but so very subtle, and they would be easy to miss (I had a toddler too so I was busy). He did well, but it was odd. To this day, he's laid back about food. He only tells me he is hungry when he is hungry.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think that as long as you continue to be proactive and remind your busy girl to nurse or take a bottle during the day, there's no reason to worry!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 10 month old is the same way. I realize it's time to nurse her if she starts throwing fits about things that aren't a big deal - and a lot of times if I offer to nurse and she's too busy, I'll get bit for my trouble. I think 16 pounds at 8 months old sounds fine. My older daughter was always in the 3 to 5% and my younger one is ~25% now, she was 17 pounds at her 9 month well check.

My LO was the same. I just offered every couple of hours or so.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

My dd is 8 months actual 7 months adjusted and has always been very busy. Prefers to eat, play, eat sleep! I just offer every 2-3 hours. She sort of cluster feeds in the evenings, too
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong