Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First "toddler" post & reflecting on NIP

Default First "toddler" post & reflecting on NIP

Hi mamas... DS will be turning 1 year old on Jan. 7, and I just can't believe how the time has flown. I remember in the early months struggling so desperately with BFing and thinking to myself that all I wanted to do was some day make it past the "nursing your newborn" forum into the "nursing your infant" forum, thinking I had plenty of time to go before I would reach the "nursing your toddler" forum...I didn't even know if we would make it that long...but now we are here and still going strong, despite the tumultuous beginning.

And now I just read through the thread about what your LOs call your breasts, or how they ask to nurse, and I know that it won't be long before my jibber-jabbering LO starts asking in his special way...at least I hope we keep going long enough for him to be able to ask!

Another thing I'm reflecting on is how I never had any problems NIP in the beginning, but I've had some issues recently...maybe it is just my perception, but it seems like people are more accepting of a mother BFing a smaller baby. An acquaintance recently told a close friend of mine that I freaked her and her SO because I nursed my son in a restaurant...this acquaintance told my friend that "I really ought to cover up...BFing in public makes others uncomfortable." (My friend stuck up for me, but felt for some reason she should let me know what had been said, though I wish she hadn't...) And today for the first time my mother also told me that I should "cover up" more when NIP. Ah! I've gone a year without any problems, and then all of a sudden I get these comments that I have to admit got under my skin a bit.

All I have to say to the people who think it's weird for me to NIP my nearly-1-yr-old, just wait until I nurse him when he's 2, god willing!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: First "toddler" post & reflecting on

Welcome, mama! You are welcome to NIP as you desire! Many mamas stop NIP after a period of time just to set some ground rules with their toddlers. I only NIP now if there's something really wrong or she's really hurt. Otherwise, she doesn't really need it. But it's hard to imagine that when they are just one. I remember! Anyway,

Congrats on making it to a year! I know what an awesome accomplishment that is.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I NIP'd until DS was about 15-16 months. I still tend to nurse him on airplanes. Otherwise, my DS doesn't need to nurse out of hunger, and we don't spend hugely long stretches of time out of the house, so NIPing is really not an issue anymore. I have definitely been known to nurse him in the car on the way home from somewhere, though, especially if it's almost nap time and he's getting tired. He's rear-facing, and I typically ride in the back with him while DH drives, and something about being eye-level with the "nah-nahs" makes DS want a snack on the drive home.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Being from SC where so few women BF I understand your issues with public perception completely. It was tough at the beginning because even my mom thought I was completely nuts when I chose to breastfeed, but now as I am passing the one year mark with my third BF baby she has given up on converting me to the bottle. God bless and have fun with the nah nah's. My older kids refer to me as the mom with the magical boobs(nah nah's can fix anything!) Oh and when I BF at Church all the other mom's tell their kids my baby is sleeping. Is there a cute little anagram for nursing in church maybe NIC. I just want to squirt them all in the eye and scream he is not asleep! Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure Jesus Christ didn't suck enfamil from a platex! Sorrry for the rant hope I didn't offend anyone, but seriously when did BFing become so taboo. Well I better get off the soap box. Happy trails to you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bzm.mommy View Post
    Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure Jesus Christ didn't suck enfamil from a platex!

Congrats on making the milestone, aidansmama! You've done a wonderful job. Now all you have to do is ignore the cranks and critics. Don't let anyone make you feel uncomfortable- you're changing the world a little bit at a time. Maybe some mama will see you nursing a toddler and be encouraged to do it herself.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

AIDANSMAMA: I was lurking since I will be moving up to this forum too And I just thought It was neat that I remember reading your posts on *newborns* and having some simmular issues. Wow Im so cant believe its almost been a year!
    Anyway... I get more negativitie now that DS is bigger when we NIP, it suxs but Im with you on the wait till hes 2 and Im still NIP

jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

bzm.mommy - right on! You know Jesus probably breast fed until he was about 7....
    "Squirt them in the eye..." that's great! I LOVE it!
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Not to get into a religious debate, but from my recent research of Jews at the time, Jesus actually probably wasn't weaned till around 5.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~