Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding issues and low supply

Default Feeding issues and low supply

I am currently nursing my nearly 2 year old DD, more out of necessity than desire (not that I don't enjoy nursing my DD!), three times a day (once in the AM, pumping around lunch time because I am at work, and then once before she goes to bed). My DD is recovering from severe GERD that is finally being treated with the proper medications (i.e. Prevacid in the AM and Zantac in the PM). Because my DD has suffered so long from GERD, she has literally developed a fear of food (i.e. food neophobia). This child has never eaten the solid form of a fruit, vegetable, or meat (with the exception of the occasional chicken nugget) and once she passed 10 months of age refused all puree forms. For this reason, she is currently going to a Feeding Clinic once a week to teach her not to fear food. Well, the unfortunately side of things is that with the calorie boosters added to her bottles of cow's milk (three 5 ounce bottles a day with 5 tsp of Carnation Breakfast Essentials added) she is now gaining weight nicely and, therefore, sleeping through the night. My supply has taken a huge hit: When I first backed down to only pumping at lunch I was pumping 4-6 ounces of BM total from both breasts and NOW I am down to 1-2 ounces maximum. Considering her age; the fact that she is eating things like yogurt, cheese, and anything crackery (i.e. most cereals, gold fish, graham crackers, peanut butter crackers, FINALLY drinking 4-6 ounces of juice a day, etc.); and the fact that she is in feeding therapy, would you give up the unfruitful pumping session and just nurse as she wants to when I am with her (i.e. 2 times a day during the work week and she usually nurses 3-4 times a day during the weekend)? I am looking for either the encouragement to continue or support that getting rid of the pumping session will not be a catastrophic event in her nutrition...thoughts, opinions, ideas? Does this mean I am barely producing any milk or just that my body does not want to respond to the only 15 min pumping session I complete a day? If you are still nursing your two year old and still pump once a day, how many ounces are you getting? I thought this stage was supposed to be about the enjoyment of nursing, not so much the nutrition but my DD decided to put a monkey wrench in that "plan"!

Thank you, Ladies, as usual!

Default Re: Feeding issues and low supply

I wanted to add that when we last saw the nutritionist at the Feeding Clinic a few months ago, based on what little DD did eat, the cow's milk bottles, and the three nursing sessions a day (approximately 9 ounces of BM a day--based strictly on what my pumping output was of 3 ounces at lunch), they considered DD 94% nourished. The nutritionist then said that that was good considering her food aversions...it is when a child drops below 90% that they start to worry about proper nutrition. As I am writing this I realize the right thing to do is to continue pumping and, if need be, add in more pumping sessions a day. BUT (big but that does not really compare to my child's health) my Husband is desperate to have me and our bed to ourselves that he is leaning toward me dropping the pumping session. Our marriage has truly suffered with all the health and eating issues we have faced the last two years...but how do you choose between your Husband and your child? Tough decision!

So sorry to hear about your problem! I have been breastfeeding for 16 months so I can't advise about breastfeeding at 2....especially since my little one in in the middle of a nursing strike. In any case, I wanted to tell you that I can totally relate to the pressure from your husband about pumping because I pump before bed every night and at times my husband would rather have me just come to bed with him. It is a sacrifice we make but with an amazing reward. I am not sure what you mean about having your bed back. Is your daughter sleeping with you guys? My daughter has always slept in her own crib even though our house is so small that our bed is still literally 4 feet from her crib so I can sit up in bed and check on her at any time. But, I would keep up the pumping and breastfeeding if you feel your daughter needs it. I would however, move her to her crib if you feel that it is hurting your marriage. I have been torn about letting our daughter into our bed and at this point have opted out....probably more so fear she would fall off the bed or we would end up laying on her. In any case, you sound like an amazing mom...keep your chin up! I'm sure some of the other awesome moms on here might be able to give you more advice.
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

Also, if you want to boost your supply. You can try taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle capsules. That is what I had to use with Lucy to get my supply up! <<Hugs>>
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

you have to do what's right for yourself, family and own child.

If I was you, because of your dd's unique problems, I would continue to pump at lunch and add just one more pump session, idealy in the middle of the night. Some where between 2 and 4 am. That's when a certain hormone that helps you produce more milk is at it's highest, and usually has a direct effect on your day time out put. If you want the most during the day, it's best not to drop your night time pumpings. In fact, if you want to keep it at just one pump session a day you would probably be better off not pumping at lunch and just pumping at night time. But, I would probably do both, just to insure enough for DD. But, that's just me. I EPed for 2 1/2 years. And my DD didn't have special needs. I think if she had, I probably would of continued. I don't know though. I was getting pretty sick of the pump by then too. lol

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~